• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Enigma - Trumpet Solo with DT

Share/Bookmark

Enigma - Trumpet Solo with DT

Hi All

Here is a solo work I have just completed for trumpet and Piano to be added to my collection of trumpet solos. I now have 8 in the set.

This one features Double Tonguing - I have a thread going in the Techniques and Tutorial Forum on how to create the Double Tongue sound through Garritan samples. This solo demonstrates that and also the use of a mute.

Here is: Enigma

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Enigma - Trumpet Solo with DT

Hi, I enjoyed your Enigma, for me it had a joyful sound to it. Good work on this one! John

Thanks John for listening. I couldn't think of a name so I called it 'Enigma' I am going to re-name it. Maybe someone has a suggestion for a name.

I am glad you enjoyed the work.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill...
    EXCELLENT composition!

Tuneful, with great contrast between open & muted sections...love the descending trumpet fourths in the muted part...but maybe more of a CAPRICCIO than an enigma?? Perhaps the enigma lies in the quiet ending after such a boisterous "A" section...

And another thing...aspiring brass composers ought to listen to this for the relationship between the trumpet and the piano...when the trumpet is very busy, the piano either isn't busy or gives a small answer to the trumpet...when the trumpet isn't busy, the piano picks up...in short, a real "duet" part instead of just an "accompaniment."
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Jim, thanks for your kind comments. Yes, I agree Capriccio or some other 'joyful' title would be more appropriate. A solo written for any instrument is a duet featuring both voices as partners. I endeavor to keep both players 'happy' when working together. This piece was a bit of a struggle because of the double tonguing (making it realistic) and the muted section (using Finale '09 Aria engine). I had to resort to creating the muted trumpet by using the K2 Player and a KS trumpet for the muted trumpet. The instruments for the '09 Finale do not include an orchestral KS trumpet, only a Jazz KS trumpet (and that has a very 'jazz' oriented tone quality.

Thanks for listening,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill, How about "Felicity" or "A Felicitious Remark"? John

Bill,

Nice piece. As a fellow trumpet player, I can definitely hear what you're doing in this piece. Finale has interpreted the dynamics well, but still leaves a little to be desired in the lyric sections. Also, if you're still revising it a little, I thought that the transition from the muted section back to open seemed a little abrupt. Like Jim has mentioned, you've really mastered the piano-soloist conversation.

Enjoyed it!

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post

Also, if you're still revising it a little, I thought that the transition from the muted section back to open seemed a little abrupt. Reegs
    Yes, I caught that too when I tried to play it - I was grabbing my mute while I was supposed to be playing. I've added a measure or two at those transitions to give some time to change timbre. I am also expecting that in live performance, the accompanist will use a rubato pause to wait for the soloist. I might rethink/rework those transitions if more time is needed. If any one has an activated Smart Music, I would be glad to send you the smart music accompaniment along with a the trumpet music.

I do not have an activated copy, pockets aren't that deep.

Thanks for the comment and for listening Reegs

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Yes, I caught that too when I tried to play it - I was grabbing my mute while I was supposed to be playing. I've added a measure or two at those transitions to give some time to change timbre. I am also expecting that in live performance, the accompanist will use a rubato pause to wait for the soloist. I might rethink/rework those transitions if more time is needed. If any one has an activated Smart Music, I would be glad to send you the smart music accompaniment along with a the trumpet music.

I do not have an activated copy, pockets aren't that deep.

Thanks for the comment and for listening Reegs

Bill
    I have an active Smart Music, but my euphonium mutes were washed away in the flood . Decided there were higher priorities with limited insurance money.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    I have an active Smart Music, but my euphonium mutes were washed away in the flood . Decided there were higher priorities with limited insurance money.
    Jim
    Would you like an unmuted copy written for Euphonium?

It would be interesting to hear this as an Euphonium solo. I think I will do that just to hear how it sounds. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast