• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Dichotomy Fantasia

Share/Bookmark

Dichotomy Fantasia

I offer this melancholy piece for reflection. The only engineering on this was using soundforge to cleanup the start length and finish length of the the tails of the file. It was done solely in Finale 2009 using ARIA and Garritan's samples for Finale 2009. Though, Finale is giving me fits (as it does not like my firewire soundcard) I was still able to tweak dynamics and expression markings.

Here for your enjoyment and maybe a little reflection is:

Dichotomy Fantasia for woodwinds and strings

If you would like to hear it in a better resolution, than check it out on the Garritan.ning site.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Dichotomy Fantasia

Again, nice work Rich, you certainly have a way with the woodwinds. I love the clarinet part, so moody and reflective. This a nice work for a cold winter's day - reflective and quiet. Good work.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Rich, I heard this yesterday at the ning site along with the others. I too love the 'winds in this, aptly named piece. Thanks! John

Rich

This is very introspective.

The harp playing is beautiful. One of the major things I have noticed about Notation programs, especially back when I used Sibelius to do my works, is their inherent lack of doing a perfect legato in the strings.

That is why I moved to Sonar.

Regardless, this is still a beautiful piece.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

John,

Thanks for the comments. Yes I had put it on the .ning site yesterday to test the site and player out. This new version is a little more refined.

Ron,

Thank you for listening. You are right about notation programs. They are a bit stiff. The human playback engine in Finale does a pretty good job but still doesn't quite handle nuances very well. I will be working this over in Sonar as well. The piece calls for a lot of rubato and delicate dynamics as well as the legato sound. If you listen to the woodwinds background syncopated figure, you will hear the same problem you mentioned was in the string sound. It will still be a good week of work to get the piece massaged into shape (so to speak).

I appreciate the comments!

Rich

Solid, interesting construction in this, Rich -- the
    thinking behind it, the use of contrast, the management
    of flow -- all of which only serves to add to the beauty
    of this reflective piece.

The second listen was even better, though -- this is
    definitely a piece that brings more with subsequent
    hearings... some very satisfying subtleties of line.

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

A very petty piece Rich.

For me it has the feel of French impressionism to it.

It flows very nicely.

I think you were using Tracktion at one time. Have you migrated to Finale for scoring?

Phil

Thumbs up Re: Dichotomy Fantasia

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I offer this melancholy piece for reflection. The only engineering on this was using soundforge to cleanup the start length and finish length of the the tails of the file. It was done solely in Finale 2009 using ARIA and Garritan's samples for Finale 2009. Though, Finale is giving me fits (as it does not like my firewire soundcard) I was still able to tweak dynamics and expression markings.

Here for your enjoyment and maybe a little reflection is:

Dichotomy Fantasia for woodwinds and strings

If you would like to hear it in a better resolution, than check it out on the Garritan.ning site.
    Hi Rich,

This is very pleasant, lyrical music.
    The instrumentation has a Syrinx-like beauty!

I really enjoyed the smooth flute passages and the theme stays in my head!

Great job!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post

Ron,

Thank you for listening. You are right about notation programs. They are a bit stiff. .....If you listen to the woodwinds background syncopated figure, you will hear the same problem you mentioned was in the string sound.

I appreciate the comments!
    Rich

I noticed it last night while listening, but since I was already getting on you about the strings, I figured I would let the winds pass.

I am listening again and have to admit, as much as I hate saying it, that Finale with the humanized playback does a better job than Sibelius ever did. Since I do everything in sonar now, I don't have that problem, just the problem of getting scores That look right without hours of manipulation.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

David,

Thanks for the critical ear in listening. I really appreciate you comments. All the thematic work, whether it was in the violin, flute or clarinet was derived from the opening motive in the violin melody. Harmonic structure was meant to be (and I hope is) vague and undefined. Even the ending chord is not in the original key but an augmented 2nd higher.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

My best,

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast