• Register
  • Help

Topic: New PC requirements...

Share/Bookmark

Question New PC requirements...

OK, so my PC is on it's way out, and I need a replacement pretty sharpish.

I need some advice on which OS to get though with the new PC. I've love to try Vista 64bit to take advantage of the increased RAM options. However, more importantly I need to be able to run the following software which I don't mind upgrading if necessary:

Sibelius 3
    Cubase 3 SE
    HALion 3
    Gigastudio 3
    BFD
    HALion Symphonic Orchestra
    The Grand
    Trilogy
    Realguitar
    Realstrat
    JABB
    PS02 Global
    WIVI
    FX Teleport

Any advice would be welcomed! I reckon it's a toss-up between XP Home 32 bit (which I currently use) or Vista Premium 64 bit.

Re: New PC requirements...

Can you wait for the release of Windows 7?
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

I would have thought that the two big "probably nots" with the Vista choice are Gigastudio and FXT, as neither of these will ever be updated, well probably not, in the case of FXT.

D

Wish I could wait for Windows 7 - but unfortunately my workhorse is beginning to die, so I need a replacement system within the next couple of weeks at most...

Gigastudio - I read somewhere that Gigastudio 4 is OK with Vista 64, but not Gigastudio 3.

Any second opinions on this?

FXT - what a pain, but I only use it when the main PC maxes out with too many VSTs. So hopefully if the new PC is more powerful than the current one, I might be able to do away with FXT.

Gigastudio 4 supports 64 bit operating systems, XP and Vista.

Cubase is out for you I'm afraid, that version won't work on 64bit.

My suggestion would be to get XP32 if you need all these programs.
    You will be able to run 4 gigs Ram and using the 3 gig switch.

IF you decide to upgrade Cubase and Get Giga 4 then go for XP 64 bit or if you must Vista64 although I'd wait for Seven personally as Vista sucks imho.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Can you even get GS4 any more? I thought that this was more dodo technology now. Tascam supports no OS for GS, so this is a dead-end route. No point in throwing away more money, IMO.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Can you even get GS4 any more? I thought that this was more dodo technology now. Tascam supports no OS for GS, so this is a dead-end route. No point in throwing away more money, IMO.

D
    Yeah, you can still buy it from retailers but there's no Tascam support as you say.
    There are the diehards out there that can't do the switch to Kontakt or other samplers.
    Personally I agree with you, why flog a dead horse..... or something like that
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I'd be more than happy to ditch Gigastudio - my question is this - what is the easiest way (if any) to switch to Kontakt and still be able to open the old saved GSPs? (that is complete project files with the various instruments needed for a particular piece).

I really only use Gigastudio 3 for Sonic Implants (Sonivox) Complete Orchestral Collection & Harp.

Go Back to forum