• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Can't get damper pedal to work right

Share/Bookmark

Can't get damper pedal to work right

Hi,

It's been a few months since I've used my Garritan Steinway, and I'm having problems setting it up. I use it as a midi plugin in Protools on my Mac, and my controller is a Roland FP7. The damper pedal on the FP7 works fine when I play the keyboard all by itself, but when I use it as part of my Protools/Garritan setup it doesn't function properly.

Notes sustained by the pedal don't release exactly when I release the pedal. Instead, they linger for a full second or so. (In contrast, notes sustained without using the pedal, release instantaneously.)

Makes for VERY muddy pedal changes, to say the least.

Interestingly, the pedal icon next to the keyboard on the Garritan interface behaves properly. It releases precisely when I release the pedal.

Right now, I'm using "under lid" and everything else turned off (sustain resonance, sympathetic, ambience, tone).

I'd love some help with this!

Thanks,
    Bruce

Re: Can't get damper pedal to work right

You might have a progressive kind of pedal on your FP7? You should set it up to be an on-off pedal.

Hi Electone,

Thanks for the reply, but that's not it. I set the pedal to on-off and I still get that horrible one-second delay before the sound quits. Anybody else have a suggestion? This is driving me crazy.

I didn't used to have this problem. I recently did a clean install of Mac OS 10.4.11 on the drive where I run ProTools. Could that have something to do with it?

OK—an update. I just got the pedal to work right when I use Garritan as a stand-alone app. Now I need to find out what's happening when I try to use it as a ProTools plugin.

Bruce

For anyone who's interested, I managed to solve this problem (thanks to Mirai, who posted a similar distress message on this forum), by disabling the lower MIDI transmission channel on my keyboard.

Life is good again.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by brucesiegel View Post
    It's been a few months since I've used my Garritan Steinway, and I'm having problems setting it up. I use it as a midi plugin in Protools on my Mac, and my controller is a Roland FP7. The damper pedal on the FP7 works fine when I play the keyboard all by itself, but when I use it as part of my Protools/Garritan setup it doesn't function properly.

Notes sustained by the pedal don't release exactly when I release the pedal. Instead, they linger for a full second or so. (In contrast, notes sustained without using the pedal, release instantaneously.)

Makes for VERY muddy pedal changes, to say the least.

Interestingly, the pedal icon next to the keyboard on the Garritan interface behaves properly. It releases precisely when I release the pedal.

Right now, I'm using "under lid" and everything else turned off (sustain resonance, sympathetic, ambience, tone).
    I can't help here, but I have noted the same thing with the Basic version of the Steinway, which I just installed last week. I see it not only in SONAR, but also in the standalone version of the instrument. My controller is a Roland Rhodes MK-80, with an on/off sustain pedal. I tested other virtual pianos (e.g. Best Service Galaxy Steinway 5.1, NI Akoustik Piano), and they aren't seeing the same issue, so I know it isn't a problem with what is getting to the instrument from hardware or the layers in between the hardware and the softsynth.

I reported this issue, and I know Gary and Jeff are aware of it and planning to look into it in the not-too-distant future. Jeff mentioned thinking he had an idea on what might be causing it, but hadn't been able to look into it in detail yet due to being on the road.

For anyone who's interested, I managed to solve this problem (thanks to Mirai, who posted a similar distress message on this forum), by disabling the lower MIDI transmission channel on my keyboard.
    Bruce, can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Here's the email Mirai sent me. I don't think he'd mind if I quote him here:

"I solved the problem by disabling the other two MIDI channels my keyboard was sending on. Usually, they split the played notes in upper and lower hand and then even use a third channel for something else. I just deactivated these channels. So, now my controller only sends the signals using one channel. This solved all issues for me."

On my own FP7, I only had one channel to disable. My keyboard's MIDI panel now shows these settings:
    Upper Tx ch: 1
    Lower Tx ch: off

This seems to have totally resolved the issue for me.

Bruce

Here's the email Mirai sent me. I don't think he'd mind if I quote him here:

"I solved the problem by disabling the other two MIDI channels my keyboard was sending on. Usually, they split the played notes in upper and lower hand and then even use a third channel for something else. I just deactivated these channels. So, now my controller only sends the signals using one channel. This solved all issues for me."

On my own FP7, I only had one channel to disable. My keyboard's MIDI panel now shows these settings:
    Upper Tx ch: 1
    Lower Tx ch: off

This seems to have totally resolved the issue for me.
    Thanks for clarifying, Bruce.

I'm afraid my keyboard only sends on one MIDI channel in the first place, so that won't help here. I also have that set up to be channel 1, which is the same as yours, and tried setting SONAR up to force anything coming into the associated MIDI track to channel 1, and to only take input from one MIDI port on the one channel, too, just to rule out anything funky going on elsewhere. (I do have another MIDI port with another controller on it, but that has been turned off while I've been trying the Steinway out.)

It's not clear to me why this sort of thing would make a difference anyway, but it's great that you've got a workaround for your uses.

I should probably clarify that I'm running the Basic version (latest official release, which is 1.02) on Windows XP Home SP3. I'm not sure how that may relate to the other versions of the software, other than that the Basic version only has the under-the-lid perspective and 16-bit samples.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Rick

Sorry to hear you couldn't resolve the issue, Rick. Our situation is evidently different, though, because my sustain pedal was working properly in the standalone version even before I changed the MIDI settings. I too have the Basic version of Garritan, by the way.

Bruce

Two ideas:

1) Maybe set the sequencing software to receive on just one channel instead of "Omni".
    2) Look into "Event List" or Staff View to see what MIDI data is being sent and where the pedal releases are effected (P and * in Sonar).

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast