• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Winds of Change

Share/Bookmark

Winds of Change

This is a quartet consisting of a Flute, an Oboe , a Violin and a Cello.

Here it is
    Winds of Change.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Hope you enjoy

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Winds of Change

I love the feel of this track. You hit this one out of da park Ron.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi Ron, Is this a bit of a departure for you? I can't remember hearing anything quite like this. I like the instrumentation on this one. The first segment has an oriental sound to it, the middle section makes me think of jazz for some reason I can't put my finger on, and the ending seems to unify the piece.
    I'm going back to re-listen to this, Thanks for sharing it! John

This sounds like oriental impressionism.

It's pretty mellow for you and I like it.

Maybe there is a connection to your new teaching career and the joy and piece you have found in your life.

Phil

Hippie

Thanks man. I haven't hit one out in a long time (never in baseball, but a lot in softball).

John

I read your post last night and thought about what you said today and in some ways you are right. I think I compose differently for small ensembles than for full orchestras.

Here is an example of a string quartet I did awhile back.

This is the 4th and final movement of the piece for comparison. (The panning sucks in this as does the reverb)
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...highlight=cusp

The oriental feel comes from the use of the pentatonic scale. The jazz reference surprises me. Thanks

Phil

I have been told that my music seems to be getting more and more mellow since the time of my divorce. I guess I need to get married again to get my edge back.

Thanks guys

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Ron

I think the title is perfect for this quartet. I don't find the mood peaceful at all - no violence but a subtle unease and inquietude as one waiting for changes "in the wind" to solidify (sorry about the mixed metaphor ).

The middle section has a slight jazz feel to me also perhaps because of the bouncier tempo.

I am very fond of small ensembles and I really like this one.

So I hope you write some more.

Herb

Hi Ron.
    I was following a thread today on the Discussion Forum and then to an ancient Chinese music. Some say there are no coincidences.
    This sounds a lot like Korean music.
    All of the instruments speak clearly.

Gary

Ron,

I like the mood of this piece. I also enjoy your use of dynamic contrasts and lower voice orchestration. I feel that sometimes it could use a little more of a pulse, though.

Best,
    Reegs

Have you been doing some Tai Chi recently? LOL

It has the flavor and feel of a quiet running brook on a warm and sunny afternoon. This is nicely orchestrated and open an airy in its presentation. Nice pizzicato contrast 3/4ths the way through to. It is light and bouncy to augment the quiet self reflection of the beginning. You have done well on a piece that is not normally your style. I really enjoyed this piece. Thanks for giving my mind a break from the winter blast we are currently experiencing.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

This is fantastic Ron. I was thinking with its oriental influences it might be interesting to substitute the violin for an erhu or some other asian bowed instrument. Just a thought.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast