• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: GPO ARIA - When?

Share/Bookmark

GPO ARIA - When?

Hi,
    Is there an update about the availability date of GPO ARIA?

Thanks.

Re: GPO ARIA - When?

yeah!
    we want also infos, screenshots, mp3 demos... :-)

I just found out I'm not gonna get laid off for at least another year and I'm getting a monster income tax refund, so I can buy the GPO/ARIA update! Let me know soon while I still have the wherewithal. Godspeed!
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." -Steven Wright, comedian

on sunday i heard it was going to be another 2-3 weeks.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Add another 6 weeks if the groundhog sees his shadow on Monday.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

I'm trying to sort out what is what regarding GPO.

ok, there is a port to the Aria player... with new instruments added?

does that make something different from GPOA?

if one has GPO "aria player" (when it comes out) is it then worth having GPOA as well? or is this redundant?

If one has either or both of the above, is it then worth getting GOS (the new version)? again, how much redundancy is there betwen the different libraries?

I presently have both the Strad and the Gofriller and would LOVE to get rid of the stupid Kontakt Player. Will there be anything remotely as powerful string-wise in either GOS, GPO, or GPOA?

I need some really "simple" answers to the above... don't feel bad if your answer sounds like you're "talking down" to me. I CAN be slow at times.

Here are the two press releases from KVR Audio:

Garritan has announced a new edition of its Garritan Personal Orchestra product. The company announced a 4th Edition of Garritan Personal Orchestra that now contains the Garritan ARIA sample engine and adds new features, new instrument sounds, updated programming and a lower price. The new edition is being demonstrated during the show at the NAMM convention.

Garritan Personal Orchestra 4th Edition includes all the major instruments of the orchestra - strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion and keyboards – plus quality instruments such as a Steinway grand piano, Stradivari violin (with new controllable vibrato), select Project SAM solo and section brass samples (new for this version), concert harps, celesta, concert pipe organ, and many other fine instruments. Personal Orchestra allows you to make ensembles of any size from the individual instruments, ranging from groups of a few instruments to a full symphony orchestra.
    The collection comes integrated with the ARIA Player, Garritan's powerful 64-bit Sampler/Synthesis Engine, developed in collaboration with Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. There is no need to purchase a separate sampler. The ARIA engine and Garritan soundware has been rigorously industry tested and are widely used in products by Microsoft, Sony, Akai, MakeMusic (Finale) and other industry leaders. Garritan Personal Orchestra is Mac OS X and Windows compatible, either as a standalone program or as a plug-in (VST, RTAS and Audio Units). Registered users of previous editions of the Garritan Personal Orchestra will be able to download the new edition for $49.
    Garritan Personal Orchestra 4th Edition is programmed to work with Finale 2009, Sibelius 5, AKAI wind controllers and other popular music applications. Intuitive controls allow you to become familiar with the library quickly and master all the instruments easily. Garritan Personal Orchestra enables you to express your musical ideas with minimal effort.
    Pricing & Availability
    New Suggested Retail price is $149 with a $49 downloadable upgrade for existing users. It will be available shortly after the NAMM show as a download.

and regarding GOS2

Garritan has announced its most comprehensive and musically expressive orchestral string library – Garritan Orchestral Strings 2. This new string library will be powered by the Garritan ARIA sample engine.

This library includes the complete string sections of the orchestra as well as an extended complement of solo strings. The stringed instruments recorded in this collection include Stradivarius, Guarneri, Gagliano, Montagnana, Testore, and many other rare instruments, and were recorded in 24-bit at the world-renowned Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.
    The library includes a rare solo Stradivari violin, a solo Pallotta viola, a solo Gofriller cello, a solo Amati double-Bass, 1st violin section, 2nd violin section, viola section, cello section, double-Bass section, and a full string orchestra.
    Each string section and solo instrument allows performance of an "astonishing" array of articulations, bowings, playing techniques and special effects. Special morphing technology enables performance of dynamic morphing between layers and the ability to impart and control expressive vibrato on solo strings (the first full string library with this capability) and section strings. The following articulations are included: various sustains, staccato, marcato, spiccato, martelle', pizzicato, sautille, portamento, ricochet, col legno, tremolo, trills (at various interval), and harmonics. Additionally, many of these articulations may be played altra corda (on an adjoining string) or con sordino (muted).
    There are avant-garde effects such as harmonic glissandi (Penderecki effects) and below-the-bridge effects included. Bow position control (sul tasto and sul ponticelli), up and down bowing, realistic legato and portamento, body/sympathetic resonance behavior modeling, adjustable noise (bow, pluck and snap noise) and controllable loose/tight articulations are also included. Extraordinary levels of realism, expressiveness and virtuoso performances are now possible, according to Garritan.
    The collection comes integrated with the ARIA Player, Garritan's powerful 64-bit Sampler/Synthesis Engine, developed in collaboration with Plogue Art et Technologie.
    Gary Garritan made the announcement at the NAMM Convention. "We always wanted to introduce this extraordinary additional content and capability that has been in development since the first release, and now we have that opportunity," says Gary Garritan. "When Garritan Orchestral Strings was first released seven years ago, it sparked the revolution in high-quality sample libraries. I am confident that Garritan Orchestral Strings 2 will once again raise the bar and create a new and higher standard."
    Pricing and Availability
    Garritan Orchestral Strings 2 is expected to be released 1st quarter of 2009. Pricing will be announced upon release.

Here's just what I THINK how it goes (until better knowledge appears):

ARIA version of GPO adds some brass from Project Sam and vibrato control for some strings (or maybe all, dunno). I don't know, but I'm guessing it also has some kind of built-in reverb (or maybe even impulse response reverb?)

As far as I know, there was a change of strategy and GPOA will be released as packages, where GOS2 is the first one (=string section of GPOA).

I would take a wild guess and say that GOS2 is superior to GPO 4th release (the ARIA edition) when it comes to strings, even though GPO ARIA adds many new features and improves the sound quality quite much.

I don't know what sample sets are actually used (wether it's the same or different from Gofriller etc), but I'm under the impression that Gofriller, Stradivari and all those are other solo string instruments are now included in GOS2, just with completely new programming.

So, I would say that GOS2 is at least as powerful as your Gofriller and Stradivari.

GOS2 is better stringwise as GPO ARIA.

But I also think that having the GPO ARIA update will give much more value to your GPO (there are lots of other stuff there too than only strings), so it's still worth having them both. And you need the rest of the orchestra anyway while waiting for the other parts of GPOA.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I'm trying to sort out what is what regarding GPO.

ok, there is a port to the Aria player... with new instruments added?

if one has GPO "aria player" (when it comes out) is it then worth having GPOA as well? or is this redundant?

If one has either or both of the above, is it then worth getting GOS (the new version)? again, how much redundancy is there betwen the different libraries?

I presently have both the Strad and the Gofriller and would LOVE to get rid of the stupid Kontakt Player. Will there be anything remotely as powerful string-wise in either GOS, GPO, or GPOA?

I need some really "simple" answers to the above... don't feel bad if your answer sounds like you're "talking down" to me. I CAN be slow at times.

Hello, Michel!

I don't have all the answers for you, but I'll take a crack at some of them.

Ah, well as I started to write, John "Big Ears" helpfully posted a press release for you.

I'll still go ahead with a simplification to this question:

"...ok, there is a port to the Aria player... with new instruments added?

if one has GPO "aria player" (when it comes out) is it then worth having GPOA as well? or is this redundant?..."

GPOA is the new upgrade of GPO. It comes with ARIA instead of KP2. You don't buy ARIA separately. It's the audio engine, the sample player for the library. So no, GPOA is not a separate product. And there are new samples added to the library, the most talked about being some of the Project SAM Brass samples.

GOS is the older strings library which is much more sophisticated than GPO. It's being updated and is more in direct competition with the other more complex string libraries made by other companies.

EDIT:
    My goodness, look at everyone jumping in to help! While I was writing, karvasika also answered you, Michel. Don't you feel loved now?

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast