• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Re: Rmx update...

Share/Bookmark

Question Re: Rmx update...

Hi Eric,

So here I am, just over one year on and it appears a RMX update is on the cards!!!

I checked the NAMM vids, and the main new feature looks cool, and I certainly look forward to checking it out, but - and I've been waiting over 2 years for this - can I assume you've also included a "Trigger via midi only" option/button on the main library browser window as one of those as yet unnanounced new features...?

i.e. to enable us to trigger patterns via the sequencer only, not as soon as you select them in the browser. (I'm sure you remember my previous posts.. how can you forget?? LOL!)

& how about true pitch bend support? (although I do realise this one is a little more complex)

???

Re: Rmx update...

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible45 View Post

& how about true pitch bend support? (although I do realise this one is a little more complex)

???
    that is a feature that i kinda was thinking about for some time when using non-drum sounds in rmx, especially when i was working on Omnisphere Contest.

But Spectrasonics is already giving us enough, and RMX is more of a Drum/Rhythm module. But Pitchbending would be useful for drums also.

But Time Designer is totaly Awesome. (I work ALOT with 6/8, 3/4 time signatures). This is the feature I was dreaming about.
    Thanks Eric and Team! God Bless you all.

Those things (and literally hundreds of other feature requests like those that we've received from users) are not included in RMX 1.7, it's primarily about Time Designer, 64 bit support and there are a couple of other nice usability enhancements too.

...but don't worry....this isn't the last update to RMX that we've got in the works. RMX has a very bright future. :-)

Feedback is always welcome though, as we are always prioritizing which requests to do in what order based on user reactions.

Thanks! :-)

I agree that would be a really useful option. It would be sort of a manual way to do some of the stuff that Time Designer opens up. I find myself trying to audition MIDI loops with different loops in RMX (mainly just for ideas), this would help out the flow of that process tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I agree that would be a really useful option. It would be sort of a manual way to do some of the stuff that Time Designer opens up. I find myself trying to audition MIDI loops with different loops in RMX (mainly just for ideas), this would help out the flow of that process tremendously.
    Exactly... I don't want to sound ungrateful here, and I know the time designer will add another level of creativity, so thanks for that, and being as it's a free upgrade, I'll certainly look forward to checking it out...

- BUT I'm still confused.... it must have taken several months to create and optimise such an extensive feature as the time designer when the basics of what it does can be done via midi already... if only you gave us a simple trigger via midi only feature to make life easier whilst trying to audition sounds and loops...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to implement a simple trigger via midi only feature would take no more than 30 mins and a couple of lines of code surely? So what's the score? (okay, so I know nothing takes just 30 mins when it comes to programming - buy you know where I'm coming from, in comparison to the Time Designer, it's a walk in the park!)

Big new features are all very impressive... but please... 2 years is a long time to wait... especially when the request is so basic. Personally when it comes to arranging beats, and auditioning them, I, like many other people love to get creative on drums directly within the sequencer itself, not so much within RMX.

Eric, I'm not going to even bother asking "when?" as I can virtually predict your answer...some things never change... but please don't underestimate the importance of this feature.

Question Re: Rmx update...

Eric, regarding this time designer... could you possibly enlighten us a bit more on exactly whats going on with the audio?
    Is there some kind of realtime audio manipulation going on in terms of time stretching, or is it strictly a case of stylus simply shifting drum hits around and possibly applying envelopes? (as if you were to move midi notes or use a groove quantizing feature in a sequencer)

I take it it must be doing some kind of real time timestretching to compensate for gaps etc, assuming that this is the case, then I'm sure to be impressed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible45 View Post
    enable us to trigger patterns via the sequencer only, not as soon as you select them in the browser
    I only ask to clarify, because I can't quite catch what you are wanting.

Can't you trigger patterns (loops) using the sequencer via the "groove menu" mode? Or are you talking about ACCESSING and changing which loop is loaded via MIDI? Or what?

(I'm just wondering if you're talking about some feature that I need, but haven't realized it yet!!)

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain View Post
    I only ask to clarify, because I can't quite catch what you are wanting.

Can't you trigger patterns (loops) using the sequencer via the "groove menu" mode? Or are you talking about ACCESSING and changing which loop is loaded via MIDI? Or what?

(I'm just wondering if you're talking about some feature that I need, but haven't realized it yet!!)

no - basically right now when you access a loop in the main loop browser in RMX, it is automatically played as soon as you select it.... it would be nice if you had an option to turn this default action off. - so basically when you select a loop, the only thing that can trigger it is your midi sequencer (cubase etc) - there are many creative reasons you might need to do this... (I am aware you can double click to almost immediately stop the loop triggering - but this is certainly not the answer when a simple button could be provided in the browser window)

actually, I'm really tired at this end, too tired to articulate the reasons why this feature would be so handy again right now, so I'll be lazy & cut and paste from my original post a few years ago:

"Say for example I've got a wicked groove running in RMX, it's made up of 3 seperate parts all playing together. OK, so I drag each individual midi file over to it's own midi channel in my sequencer and have those trigger the 3 parts instead of stylus itself. All good so far.

Now this is where the problem starts: Say I want to experiment with the sounds that one of the midi files is triggering, by this I mean replace one of the parts in stylus with a new one thus only changing the sounds the existing midi sequence is triggering.

The one thing that causes the problem here is the automatic trigger mode: each time I select a new break in the library browser I don't want RMX to trigger it, I just want it to load and have the sounds triggered by the existing midi sequence that I already have looping in my sequencer.

At the moment each time you select a new loop in RMX it automatically triggers it to play, as you can imagine this can create problems when you have a midi sequence already trying to trigger them too - things just get messy! - So the solution to this would be to have an additional trigger mode... "Trigger via MIDI only" - or an option in a menu somewhere to just stop RMX automatically triggering loops when you select them in the library browser.

- If you could do this you could happily run through the library testing out sounds of different breaks being triggered by a single looping midi groove in your sequencer - it makes for a lot of great creative possibilities - sometimes it can sound a bit un-natural and wrong, but more often it can produce very useful results! I've worked in studios in the past with the original version of Stylus and I seem to remember you used to be able to work this way, so I was kind of suprised you couldn't do it when I got RMX. For me to be able to do this is be a big part of the creative process, and great fun too!"

hope that all makes more sense!

OK, got it -- THANKS! -- and YES, it makes sense. Now I can see why someone might want to at least turn OFF that so-called "auto triggering" (if we can call it that) of the loops when selected in the browser.

I've certainly never thought about working that way -- but if they eventually add that feature, it might provide unexpected/creative results...

So yeah -- I would vote for it, and I hope it eventually gets put in!

(But I doubt there are that many people jonesing for that feature, is the thing -- do you think? I mean, you know -- just being honest)...

but that application wouldnt work in the first place because every loop in RMX has a unique set of slices.
    f.e. the loop that you are using the midifile of may have the snare as the third slice on d1. When you select another loop where the first snare falls on the d#1 the midifile will not correspond and you end up with some bizarre beat.
    It can be interesting at times for sure but mostly it will just sound chaotic.
    Your idea would only work perfectly when all the loops in RMX would ave the exact same number of slices and the drumhits would always be located at the exact same keys. But that would be one hell of a boring corelibrary!

Go Back to forum