• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slow strings?

Share/Bookmark

Slow strings?

Is there any way to get a slow string sound other than by moving the mod wheel on every note, or drawing a controller curve on every note?

I would like an effect like a slow string patch where the notes swell from a low volume to max volume, preferably with a user variable time.

I thought using low velocity would do this, but it doesn't, at least not in Tracktion.
    I get a strong attack with 127 vel and then a slightly less strong attack with most other velocities. It never gets even slightly slow.

The only way I can see to do this is to draw an expression curve on every note.

I also don't hear the cc #64 doing anything to legato lines. It sounds the same with it at 127 as at 1.

Re: Slow strings?

Are you running in Kontakt Player or the full Kontakt 2? One option if you have the full K2 is to increase the attack envelope of the instrument.

Don't know exactly what you want and use, but when I want a very smooth attack (Sonar), I set the velocity to a very low value. The velocity only applies to the beginning of the duration of the note. The rest is just a matter of CC#1, also starting at a fairly low value, swelling and decreasing at will.

Raymond
    [my eyes are failing me, I had to correct this reply 3 times.....]

I tried in both Tracktion and Reaper. A velocity of 70 or just 1 sounds the same. I can't get a slow swelling attack.

I am using the Kontakt Player.
    I tried using the attack cc but it has no effect.

Can you guys get a slow swell from near 0 volume to full volume in your Player or in full Kontakt?

I don't really want to draw cc lines for every note when I just want all notes to have the same slow attack.

"...Can you guys get a slow swell from near 0 volume to full volume in your Player or in full Kontakt?..."

Yes, easily.

P. T. - are you doing all your work with a mouse, and not a keyboard? The latter makes things Much easier, then mousing in edits in the Piano Roll View to clean up choppy parts.

But a low velocity of 1 starting with 0 on mod and then sweeping that mod (cc1) up gets exactly what you're talking about.

It's not a matter of getting that in Kontakt, but in the DAW. I use Sonar. This is all done in the Piano Roll View, and all DAWs have an analogous MIDI editor.

"...I don't really want to draw cc lines for every note when I just want all notes to have the same slow attack..."

Well, but you'll have to. MIDI recording is not a fast process. Much easier, cleaner and faster with a keyboard though.

In old school synth "string" patches, there would always be a patch with the slow attack you're talking about, but that's all the patch could do, and the results weren't very natural since it was the same exact slow swell on each note/chord. That was a simple matter of pushing the Attack envelope way up in the ADSR, or using the factory preset with that setting.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum