hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7281478&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 01-28-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Sound re-editing

Re: Completed alto sax solo

That's nice Gary.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Thanks for listening, Hippie.
    That was a much older sample of this work Posting this & getting the correct version tested my brain!!!
    I have worked & reworked this piece for a year. Every note is in the right place along with balance & dynamics.

ENJOY.

Gary

Hi Gary, Nice work on these pieces. I like the dance a lot. Are these all Garritan, and done in a notation program? Thanks for the update on these.
    John

Thanks for listening, John.
    These were begun as a sax quartet in FINALE 2008 & switched to a solo
    W/PIANO in FINALE 2009.
    The most appealing tone between the Jazz & CMB to me, was the solo alto I in CMB. The piano was from the GPO.
    I notice some sound problems, but just turn the volume down a little.

Gary

Gary

I know that reverb is a very subjective thing, but from my viewpoint, I seem to be way back in an almost empty theater. The sax player is towards the front of the stage and the piano is tucked into the rear of the stage with a blanket thrown over its top.

It does however make it sound very real for that set up.

I do like the compositions, so don't think I am cutting down the music itself.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks for listening, Ron.
    I used a small room with the panning in the middle about 5 #'s apart.

The alto reverb is about 6 1/2 and the piano about 11.

I raised the vibrato but it didn't seem to affect the tone.

Gary

Gary,

All 3 movements work well together. This is a pleasant saxophone composition. The pieces sort of remind me of the French Conservatory pieces I had to play as a student so many years ago.

A couple of points:

1) What was that funky fall in the 3rd movement at 30" into the piece. It was never repeated and just seemed a little out of context to me. Musically, other than that, I loved all three movements and could enjoy performing it myself!

2) This is a taste thing so I hope I don't offend you. I don't like as much reverb but I have heard that much in professional CD's. I guess being a performer, I don't hear that much reverb when I am playing because I so close to the instrument. Also in the same area of engineering, I would prefer the piano a little more forward in the mix so that it can stand on equal terms with the saxophone. It is a solo for saxophone but the piano does add an integral part to the piece.

Thanks for sharing this well thought out and well written suite. I really enjoyed listening to it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks for listening, Rich.
    The glissando you mention has never worked correctly, but in a live performance I think it would work.
    The panning goes left to right. How do you move a sound forward or back?

Gary

Actually sound can be moved in a stereo space 3 dimensionally. The obvious is left and right. Next is front to back. This is done with volume and reverb. The less reverb and the louder the part, then the closer the performer is to the audience (or microphone). So, in the case of the piano (for instance), by reducing the reverb on its part and making it louder in the mix, you essentially bring it closer to the audience.

The third dimension is a little more esoteric but is there. That would be top to bottom in a visual and aural space. Then you could look at the performance as if you were in a box (room) with the performers with sounds that fill the entire space. Up and down is achieved by placement of high and low frequencies. As you know speaker cabinets have woofers and tweeters and they are usually mounted with the bass woofers closer to the floor. So lower sounds are on the floor while higher sounds are up in the air of the room. That is over simplified, but you should get the idea. There are some great articles in Mix Magazine the past few months that covers this topic. (If you are interested of course. )

I don't mean to take over your thread on a wonderful piece of music. But, I got the impression you asked me about spatial positioning in your last note. So forgive me if this was overkill in my response.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast