• Register
  • Help

Topic: preparation of parts

Share/Bookmark

preparation of parts

In preparing parts for soloist & piano performance, is it better to use a binder(about 24 sheets for piano/8 for alto)
    or full sheets which are connected together?
    Should each movement be separate?

Thanks

Gary

Re: preparation of parts

I think that the important thing is to have the page quickly and easily turnable. Connecting makes that easier I think, bound page is probably harder to turn even though it would be prettier.

I'm not sure what you refer with full sheets, but I mean standard paper size (A4) in vertical position, bound together.

There are two keys for easy and effective page turning. (I've learned this the hard way. )

1) The pages need to have weight. Not each individual page, but collectively. A binder or pages bound together sort this out with ease. (I lived through the nightmare of watching my sheet music get blown off of the piano by the air conditioning turning on. Ack!)

2) This one is subjective. I like bound pages rather than pages in a binder (like a 3 ring binder). I then spend time breaking in the binding so it lays as flat as possible and is easy to turn the pages.

Extra!
    When working with a particularly long piece I have used tabs down the edge of the page to help facilitate turning pages while avoiding turning two pages at the same time by accident.

Hope this helps,

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Kevin, do you mean put the piano in a binder & the alto in bound pages.
    I do like the look of the binder, but page turning does seem to be the challenge. It would seem that you would recommend the heaviest type paper for the bound book. Heavier paper was usual for most of the manuscripts I used to read in Jazz Band, but they were hand written.

Thanks for your input Karvasika, I agree also with you.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Kevin, do you mean put the piano in a binder & the alto in bound pages.
    I do like the look of the binder, but page turning does seem to be the challenge. It would seem that you would recommend the heaviest type paper for the bound book. Heavier paper was usual for most of the manuscripts I used to read in Jazz Band, but they were hand written.

Thanks for your input Karvasika, I agree also with you.
    Gary
    Hey Gary,
    I prefer binding paper in both cases. 3 ring notebooks are too slow for changing pages in my book. I also like heavier paper for the obvious reason that it lasts longer and will take to the binding process better than lighter weight paper. (In other words, it will be more durable. For me that is important because my page turning is usually not a tender process. )

If you go to Kinkos or Staples you can choose paper weight and the kind of binding you want. It's not cheap, but it isn't overly expensive.

One last thought - I like a cover, but I don't get too thick of a cover. This also has to do with the book laying as flat as possible on the stand. Thick covers never seem to get completely flat.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thanks kevin, I've used Kinkos, but Office Max has been a great deal more helpful to me.

Gary

Go Back to forum