• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting Lower Latency - KP2 GPO v3

Boulder, Colorado

Getting Lower Latency - KP2 GPO v3

Hey everyone,
    I have an interesting dilemma now that I've been doing some work with the GPO Steinway and some live audio. The latency in Kontakt Player is a little difficult to deal with, and I was wondering how to get it lower.

I double-checked my settings and I have it set for single core processing, since I heard this is faster for some reason . It's at about 10ms, which isn't supposed to be terrible, but it's hard to play with a guitar that is more or less perfectly in time. My computer system is good, but not spectacular: A Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb of RAM, and a 7,200 RPM HDD.

Also, I use an M-Audio Uno USB to MIDI adapter in conjunction with my Digi 003. I assume hooking in midi cables to the back of the 003 would be much faster than the USB unit I have now, correct? I got that little converter quite a while before I got the 003, and I just haven't had the time to grab any true MIDI cables since.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I would really like to avoid heavily quantizing everything to get it to play in time!

Thanks very much in advance,

Re: Getting Lower Latency - KP2 GPO v3

Assuming that the K2 player has a polyphony setting, you may try reducing it. This will tend reduce the instantaneous CPU demand and allow you to reduce the latency somewhat. It may have an adverse impact, though, depending on the material you are playing. If you are using the sustain pedal and/or playing a lot of fast and/or legato lines, your polyphony demand rises. With the polyphony limit set lower, some "older" notes may be dropped in favor of "newer" ones, so some sustained notes may stop sounding prematurely. Worth a shot.

Go Back to forum