• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT Musica Universalis ("music of the spheres") inquiry

Share/Bookmark

OT Musica Universalis ("music of the spheres") inquiry

Hello,

I’m trying to gather information for a project.. It’s basically a study of the similarities between Music, Astronomy, and Mathematics.

I’ve been Google’ing for a while, and have attained some info, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any obscure websites, that might have some interesting facts.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff

Re: OT Musica Universalis ("music of the spheres") inquiry

If you go to Amazon and look up "Music Mathematics" under Books, you will find lots of books on the subject.

Same for "Music Astronomy".

Is this a scholarly project or more artsy/poetic? The connections between Astronomy and Music are tenuous at best and more akin to "New Age" thinking than actual science.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

"OM" - "Ooooooooooom" (AH-ooouuum)

That chant is the sound of the Universe in the act of perpetually creating itself. It's meant to be the closest the human voice can get to that sound. Try chanting it, and if you're not sure what it should sound like, you can probably find recordings of people chanting it in meditation.

---I think it would be something worth investigating especially if you were going to compose music with that in mind. Translating what that means into words---now, that would be a challenge.--Well, but that's Always been the challenge hasn't it?

Randy B.

I am a Mathematician and a Composer.

I have never researched what I am about to say; this is just based upon my own experiences.

Throughout my years of studying and working with math, I have discussed music with almost all of my instructors and fellow mathematicians. A very high percentage of those people were connected with music in one way or another, but I can not say the opposite is true with the musicians I have know. Many musicians seem to be indifferent, (or even hostile) when it comes to mathematics.

I have studied Astronomy intensely and even considered becoming a Astrophysicist. I chose Math so I could teach in secondary schools. There is not much call for Astrophysicists in high school. Yet Astrophysicists also seem to have an above average interest in music.

With all of that said, my suggestion to you is for you to approach your search in a different manner. Research Mathematicians/Astronomers and see if they have done anything with music. I have read that Gauss tried his hand at composing along with Euclid, Kepler, and even Galileo,

Here is a site with one of the greatest Mathematicians of all time, Leonhard Euler (Euler is pronounced Oiler).

http://tonalsoft.com/monzo/euler/euler-en.aspx

Hope that helps

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

One book that I would suggest is:

Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid (commonly GEB) is a Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Douglas Hofstadter,[1] described by the author as "a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll".[2]

I found this to be quite stimulating. Now, If I could just get it back from my son!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    One book that I would suggest is:

Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid (commonly GEB) is a Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Douglas Hofstadter,[1] described by the author as "a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll".[2]

I found this to be quite stimulating. Now, If I could just get it back from my son!
    Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid - I second this suggestion. A fine book. Here is a short list, from memory, of books (some esoteric, some otherwise, some total BS but having some good info) on the subject:

The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall
    Form: The Silent Language by Hudo Norden (out of print, Boston University)
    City of Revelation by John Michell
    The Theology of Arithmetic - Trans. by Waterfield text by Iamblichus
    Sacred Geometry by Lawlor

When I researched this subject many years ago I realized that it was essentially an inquiry into form. Why is there form? What is form? Do we need musical form? Do we need form in general? That kind of thing. It led me far afield and I read many great books. Email me if you'd like to discuss it at all.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Ask Gary, he is recording at the Skywalker Studio's right now......

Raymond

Godel, Escher Bach !!

Its heavy - in both senses but really clever if you spot all the jokes.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Thanks for all the help, guys!

My initial intention was find similarities between Mathematics, Music, and Astronomy, not from a scientific approach, but one of artistry.

It’s a fascinating study, I can certainly see a correlation between Mathematics and Music, however the cosmic view at the time of Pythagoras is much different from today.. it’s easy to see how the alignment of planets was thought to relate so nicely.

Still there’s something poetic about the concept of musical spheres. After all the entire world universe is one of science and beauty .. I’m having allot of fun weaving small threads of truth between each theme, in this audio-visual undertaking!

I’ll definitely look into those books you suggested. “Godel, Escher, Bach” sound like a fascinating read.

Thanks!

HI, jsp2 - It's a really interesting thread you started. Thanks for coming back to let us know you've been enjoying the great variety of responses you got.

I offered one of the more esoteric responses I guess, so I'll go ahead and be "esoteric" again - "...Still there’s something poetic about the concept of musical spheres..." Yes, and some people feel it's more than only poetic, but that there actually is a music, a sound that The Universe makes.

On another note, "... I can certainly see a correlation between Mathematics and Music..." I've had people lecture to me, and read the same thing, that Music IS Mathematics - And I've never enjoyed those lectures since I've never understood Math! hehe. But their point is that Music is all about the juxtaposition of tones which have a Mathematical element to their very existence, and that no matter how random the juxtaposition may become in a given composition, there is still a Mathematical relationship between the arrangement of the tones.

Ah well - I'm happy groping along via my keyboard to come up with what comes naturally to me. I'd be in trouble if I started over-intellectualizing what I do, or what anybody does when they create Music.

Thanks again for a fascinating topic.

Randy B.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum