Topic: VIDEO w/music - "I Heard The Laughter" from "Dorian"

Share/Bookmark

VIDEO w/music - "I Heard The Laughter" from "Dorian"

"I Heard The Laughter"
    (click the title for video)

Sheree Ross as Lily and Jason Bailey as Dorian
    in Pentacle Theate's 2008 production of
    "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray"

I've started to make more video clips available from the premiere of my musical, posting them on You Tube.

When I posted a promo trailer for the show recently in General Discussion, there was the request for me to post this scene from the show - "I Heard The Laughter."

This is a live performance video taken at Pentacle Theatre in 2008. Gary Garritan, his wife Marianne, and Forum member "Fast Lane" Phil attended the opening, as well as Michael Butler, the producer of "HAIR" on Broadway with whom I now have a contract.

Most of you know the show is currently in rehearsal in Moscow, Russia.

When I was in Moscow for three weeks to help the production process get started, I was surprised to see the women of the company had prepared this song, "Laughter" for their audition. I wish you could hear it in Russian. But Ms. Ross and Mr. Bailey do a fine job of it in English!

Back in October of 2008, I posted the first video clip, featuring the song "We Can Step Into Forever." That post can be found:

I am helping to promote the show with these video clips. We have a special email address where inquiries may be sent:

dorian.the.musical@gmail.com

All of you Forum members who listened to "Dorian" as I took all of 2007 to post the instrumentals here in The Listening Room - I think you'll enjoy hearing and seeing what was done with the show in Oregon.

Randy B.

Re: VIDEO w/music - "I Heard The Laughter" from "Dorian"

Randy

Do we get to see the whole show one video at a time?

Or just a few here and there?

I guess just a few here and there or else you would have started from the beginning.

When the movie is made, for a mere million dollars, I will play the part of one of the chairs in the background in this scene. For 2 million, I will play them all.

Wonderful video.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Randy

Do we get to see the whole show one video at a time?

Or just a few here and there?

I guess just a few here and there or else you would have started from the beginning.

Ron
    LOL

I'm going to have to get another hard drive and teach Little Bubba how to copy this stuff from the web and as far as the order they go in....he's on his own unless he can get Randy to give him a cheat sheet. LOL

Great vid Randy!!!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi, Ron--Glad you liked the video! So far I'm putting together vids of a few of the individual scenes/songs, like this one. Also the promo-trailer style vids which I have two of now, one previously posted in General Discussion. So the whole show won't be available this way - Just plugging away, doing my bit to help promote the idea of more theatres picking up performance options.

Hippie!--Thanks--glad you enjoyed it too. But--"...
    I'm going to have to get another hard drive and teach Little Bubba how to copy this stuff from the web...
    "---That's not going to work since I don't have the whole show up on the web--!

THAnks guys.
    Randy

Randy,

I have quietly been following the great success with your musical. I would like to say a belated «congratulations» on the performances of your show. It is indeed a wonderful production.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Thank you so much, Louis - I'm very glad to see you here.

What you said made me think of something - In theatre we think of "production" as something separate from a show itself. It's amazing how different a show can look and feel depending on who does it. The material, the script and score can remain the same, but How those are realized can vary greatly.

When you get to the hardcore Business level of Broadway, then everything becomes definitively designed, set in stone - The director, choreographer, designers--they all have copyrights on their work. When a Broadway show goes on tour and opens in other countries, it's an assembly-line replica of the original Broadway version which people see. The show becomes a jealously guarded Product. For instance, what would "Phantom Of The Opera" be without the now famous half-mask designed for the original production?

But before then, it's all in flux, and a show will see many incarnations. In this Pentacle Theatre production, there were of course limitations of budget and available talent, and for a community theatre, they did quite well. In real life, perhaps not translated to video as effectivelly, the costume design was very striking, with everyone in basic grey uniforms and just abstracted pieces were added - collars, hats, but full costumes were reserved only for Dorian and the female lead who plays both Sibyl and Lily. Very atmospheric results.

When other theatres do the show, they'll design it all anew. That's what's happening now in Moscow, where their sensibilities are very different from ours. They'll be putting on a much more colorful show, and their taste is also, I would say more brash, more like Las Vegas meets MTV--very Big and Theatrical.

And so it goes. Every production will be different.

I look forward to seeing what other theatres will do with the material--and it would be nice to see top-flight designers and directors get their hands on it in New York. We'll see!

Thanks again.

Randy B.

Wow!... Outstanding , Randy

The production looks amazing!
    Great costumes, lighting, sets!

Incredibly vivid with the entire performance & voices!

Congratulations on this entire endeavor.. all your hard labors definitely paid off.
    This was such a treat to watch! (and listen!!)

Jeff

Randy, Thanks for sharing this! I think I'm just starting to get my head around how big an achievement you have accomplished. I wish you the very best as this goes forward! Go Randy!
    Regards, John

So often all the music from this I've followed... it's
    almost like I've already seen the show, if only in mind.

It's wonderful to really see and hear part of this,
    my friend.

What a knockout number this is, Randy!

Bravo!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

It's great to be able to see some of your musical again with this video.

You did a great job on this. Their vocals were very clear. Did you use the body mics on this video?

I't was a little much to digest on opening night so I hope I get a chance to see it live again. I hope I get the chance to see it again soon.

I'm glad that my work schedule permitted me to be able to make it down to Salem to see your wonderful production and meet you and the Garritan's.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast