• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Antares

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Antares

    A composition using GPO.

    You can listen to it here, http://www.myspace.com/jswerling (this will probably be quicker)

    or on my website. http://jswerling.com/

    Thanks for listening!

    Update: I've replaced the original with a newer version, enjoy!

  2. #2

    Re: Antares

    Welcome to the Listening Room, Antares!

    Some hauntingly lovely work in this piece,
    Joshua, in its simplicity and grace.

    I might suggest somewhat less reverb on
    the piece.

    Keep it coming!

    All my best,



    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  3. #3

    Re: Antares

    Quote Originally Posted by antares View Post
    A composition using GPO.

    You can listen to it here, http://www.myspace.com/jswerling (this will probably be quicker)

    or on my website. http://jswerling.com/

    Thanks for listening!
    Welcome Joshua,

    Some great writing on this which I much enjoyed.

    David (etLux) makes a valid point above. I think he once gave the advice on this forum to set the wet reverb where you think it should be - then turn it back a bit! Anyway, that's what I do! The solo violin works best when it's closer which is another reason to keep the reverb down. On the other hand, Antares being a star, it may well be that the reverb adds to the impression of space and that may indeed be your intention - so run with what you feel is best for the piece. The lower strings work well when they enter.

    Loved the harp study on your site too.

    Regards,

    Graham (also UK South)

  4. #4

    Smile Re: Antares

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Welcome to the Listening Room, Antares!

    Some hauntingly lovely work in this piece,
    Joshua, in its simplicity and grace.

    I might suggest somewhat less reverb on
    the piece.

    Keep it coming!

    All my best,



    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks a lot, David! I'll work on that reverb and I'll definitely compose more!


    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Welcome Joshua,

    Some great writing on this which I much enjoyed.

    David (etLux) makes a valid point above. I think he once gave the advice on this forum to set the wet reverb where you think it should be - then turn it back a bit! Anyway, that's what I do! The solo violin works best when it's closer which is another reason to keep the reverb down. On the other hand, Antares being a star, it may well be that the reverb adds to the impression of space and that may indeed be your intention - so run with what you feel is best for the piece. The lower strings work well when they enter.

    Loved the harp study on your site too.

    Regards,

    Graham (also UK South)
    Thanks for the compliments and advice, Graham! Thanks as well about the harp study, that's fairly popular too! (psst! Go UK South!)

  5. #5
    Senior Member bigears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: Antares

    Hi, There are some interesting areas in this where you start to develop it from the initial repeated motif. It reminds me of a slowed down "Twilight Zone" sort of riff.
    I also enjoyed your harp piece a lot. Nice job on these pieces, bring some more to the listening room. Thanks for sharing your work! John

  6. #6
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,024

    Re: Antares

    You sure have set a mood with this. It's relentlessness works on you.

    It changes just enough to maintain interest.

    Yes, that piano is WAY back there somewhere.

    Post some more and welcome!



    Phil

  7. #7

    Re: Antares

    Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi, There are some interesting areas in this where you start to develop it from the initial repeated motif. It reminds me of a slowed down "Twilight Zone" sort of riff.
    I also enjoyed your harp piece a lot. Nice job on these pieces, bring some more to the listening room. Thanks for sharing your work! John
    Thanks John! I'll post some more.

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    You sure have set a mood with this. It's relentlessness works on you.

    It changes just enough to maintain interest.

    Yes, that piano is WAY back there somewhere.

    Post some more and welcome!



    Phil
    Thanks a lot Phil. I've updated with a second version with a much more prominent piano part.

  8. #8

    Re: Antares

    Nice work on this! Great mood. I especially liked the ending with the higher piano part. Very nice work.

    Chris

  9. #9

    Re: Antares

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHurn View Post
    Nice work on this! Great mood. I especially liked the ending with the higher piano part. Very nice work.

    Chris
    Thanks Chris!

  10. #10

    Re: Antares

    Joshua

    Nice piece.

    I also suggest bring down the reverb some. Either there is a ton of reverb on the piano or you never take you foot off the pedal. It sounds very fuzzy.

    Welcome to the Listening Room

    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

    http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •