Topic: All from a breath of the wind

Share/Bookmark

All from a breath of the wind

Based on an American Indian theme.
    For Concert Band.

Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7296219&q=hi

Re: All from a breath of the wind

This recording had spots of distortion I couldn't fix.
    I adjusted the mixer, the reverb & individual dynamics. Is this another program problem or is this just a problem of enough memory?

Gary

Hi Gary, Interesting piece, would definitely be more enjoyable without the sonic episodes. The stuttering sounds seem to be occuring with the percussion hits. Can you mute the drum track(s) and see if it behaves the same way. I didn't notice that there was especially high polyphony when they occur. Have you experimented with the buffer size on your audio card or interface at all? I'd like to hear this one again. If you get the problem fixed be sure and put it back up again. John

This is really different Gary.

It has an certain enchantment to it.

I think maybe the bass drum is causing the distortion or the combination of the instruments. It shouldn't if the meters are within their limits.

It could be a memory problem. Only one way to find out.

Phil

Gary

This is a neat piece, regardless of the distortion.

What program are you using to do this?

The distortion sounds like a volume problem in all of the parts. Not just one instrument, but all of them together.

I ran the mp3 thru audacity and all of the distortion is showing up at high volume areas.

If you are using a DAW, just add a sound envelope to lower those spots. If you are using a notation program, then either lower the volume of the entire project or adjust the dynamics lower at those areas.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks for listening Phil & Ron.
    I just finished posting another sound (9:50 CST)-7 revisions
    I'm using FINALE 2009.
    I dropped a 3rd trmpt. & trombone; lowered all dynamic levels;
    and in the case of the solo cornet, I lengthened the note valued. The cornet solo still has a distortion. It's playing alone, and not that high in pitch. (?)
    Gary

Hi, Gary

Well now! This is certainly an unpredictable and atmospherically effective piece. It's one of those pieces that makes me wish I could temporarily inhabit the composer's head to see what it really feels like - But you managed to give us a pretty vivid aural impression of what it must've been like inside your head as you constructed this piece.

I was going to ask if at this date I must be hearing the new improved file?--I think I am, but there's still that pesky distortion.

You asked, "... Is this another program problem or is this just a problem of enough memory?..." You've gotten some advice here on adjusting buffer sizes and some other things.

But it is not a "program problem" or necessarily a memory problem. As Ron and Phil are saying, it's a matter of having volumes too high when there's a combination of instruments playing at a high volume.

I use Sibelius on occasion - in Finale can't you adjust the volumes of the instruments without having to mess with dynamics in your score? You don't have to be stuck with the default volumes that instruments come up with. You need to just drag their volume control down before you do work in the score.

Adding to the problem though is far too much reverb on the percussion - those instruments are playing back at loud volumes, and the distortion problem increases because that overly-amped, distorted sound is then bouncing around in a large reverb.

BUT - it was an interesting aural journey, Gary - Thanks for it.

Randy B.

Thanks for listening, Randy. I'm spending so much time writing in front of the computer, that I forget what I'm after on the way to the kitchen.
    That's my excuse, & I'm sticking with it.
    I'm unclear-when setting up reverb-about which bar adjustment
    affects an instrument. I set up the last few bars to low reverb
    and the Mixer down to 1.

Gary

You always manage to challenge me with your work. This is no exception. I wasn't distracted enough by the distortion to not enjoy it. Your stuff, while very contemporary, always manages to say something to me unequivocally and unpretentiously. Which, as a former composition student at a pretty decent music school, I really appreciate - having sat through my share of excruciating student concerts.

On to the audio...John's right. It's definitely with the percussion -to my ears, specifically focusing on the bass drum. At 2:08, I heard the worst of it - and right at the bass drum roll. It doesn't sound like buffer to me. It sounds like too much bass response, possibly in the reverb. Are you using Garritan Ambience for the reverb, or the channel effects in the Kontakt player? I would suggest if you're using the Ambience, rolling back the bass gain in the EQ section to something more like -2 db or maybe even -3. I was noticing that it seems to default to +1, which seems a little high to me. You've got a lot of loud low-frequency stuff happening in this piece. Just a thought. You might even try using the limiter on the main out of the K2 player - although that might be anathema to the classical aesthetic.

I really like what you do. Especially lately.

- TC

Thanks for listening, TC.
    It's amazing to me all of the different ways people have to "skin a cat."
    When I started posting in this forum, I did the Finale; set it to audio;
    converted to mp3 and put it on the forum via Soundclick. PERIOD

Over the past couple of years the various manipulations which make music from notes have been explained & retained.

It reflects a journey thru life as each little "pearl" of wisdom becomes part of our total experience. Exactly when it's suppose to happen!

GARY

Go Back to forum