• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Topic: Several versions of the instrument.txt files for the FinaleVST directory?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Several versions of the instrument.txt files for the FinaleVST directory?

    Aaaagh!!!!!

    There are at least 2 versions of the "*instrument*.txt" files under FinaleVST, one of which may work on a system and match what you have in the instruments library. The other probably won't. As an example of what's different, take this:

    On my system, there's an installed file for Finale 2008:
    ...Finale2008/FinaleVST/GarritanJazzInstrument-K2.txt says:
    SampleFile = 10 Notation/07 Basses/n-Fretless Bass 1 KS.nki

    And for 2009, the matching file:
    ...Finale2009/FinaleVST/GarritanJazzInstrument-K2.txt says:
    SampleFile = 10 Notation/07 Basses/n-Fretless Bass 1 KS.nki

    That seems to match what's actually in the "instruments" directory that contains the "nki" files.

    But, if you go to the Makemusic help forum, here:

    http://makemusic.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...i=&p_topview=1

    It contains files for download that are *NOT* the ones installed on my system for JABB! The ones from makemusic customer help say (for example):

    SampleFile = 10 Notation/07 Basses/n-FretlessBass 1 KS.nki

    (Notice the different filename for the nki file.)

    Anyone know what's up with this? Why there are these different versions?

    And are *bugs* in one or more of these files behind my problems with getting some stuff to load properly under Finale 2009? Hmmm...

  2. #2

    Re: Several versions of the instrument.txt files for the FinaleVST directory?

    I have noticed this, too. I believe there are bugs in the downloadable files from the Finale knowledgebase. I also think that there may have been some bugs in the version of the files that came with JABB (and possibly GPO). I vaguely recall that neither file worked perfectly.

    In particular with JABB, I found that the Baritone saxophones would not load correctly in Finale because they were labeled "Bari. Sax" in the file instead of "Baritone Sax" or something like that. Changing the file solved the problem.

    I am a computer programmer, and I wrote something to analyze the instruments.txt file and find any bad paths to the *.nki files. I found several, and had to manually search for the correct path to use. Once fixed, everything worked perfectly.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •