• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Requiem

Share/Bookmark

A Requiem

This is hopefully my completed requiem. The first two parts have already been posted as seperate pieces. The last one is new.

GPO, CMB, G. Steinway, Philharmonic, SampleTank 2.

Prelude/Going Home

http://www.box.net/shared/2fy5q8hm3t

The Darkness

http://www.box.net/shared/5z2c7g5noh

The Light

http://www.box.net/shared/oo4j95tixt

Alpha/Omega

http://www.box.net/shared/mxhf6ecvf7
    Last edited by fastlane; 02-06-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: adding file

Re: A Requiem

That is wonderful!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi Phil, I have just re-listened to the complete 3 movements.
    The "Prelude/Going Home" is very pleasing to listen to, it seems comforting and familiar. Then comes the descent into Hell, "The Darkness".
    That repeated 3 note drum beat in the beginning, then the weird pitch bends and the cymbal crashes really have an ominous and eerie feeling. I also like the choral section of this.
    The Light opens with a section that to me seems slightly out of kilter, like unfamiliar terrain. The choral section that follows is really beautiful and re-assuring.
    Nice work on this Phil. I'm not very familiar with the requiem musical form, if there is one. I have listened to a couple of the biggies, the Mozart and the Faure. I think my favorite part of a requiem is the Mozart "Lacrymosa".
    Thanks for sharing your music. John

Very nicely concieved, Phil. The three work together well as a suite. I agree with bigears, I think the light spends a little too much time in the "dark" before emerging, but that is personal taste.

I would have liked to have heard more melodic development. A string to carry through each of the moods you are painting.

The first movement reminded me of "Rolling Home" and the Dvorak Symphony.

You have some great ideas, keep them coming.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

I enjoyed listening, Phil.
    Going Home reminds me of the NEW WORLD SYMPHONY (DVORAK.)

The Darkness seems to keep us in the dark about a melody, but I think the feeling is more influenced by high register; low register; and no in between. I think if you had some mid-voice notes, it would bring it together. The end of this movement with the voices brought focus to a theme.
    The LIGHT starts with the same, but lightens up and has a crystal clear theme from the piano.

Gary

Rhil

These pieces fit together well as a suite.

Each movement describes its subject matter and keeps us on our toes.

This was put together very well and was a joy to listen to.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hiya, Phil

You've made it clear in these pieces that you not only reached down and touched on some deep parts of yourself when you composed these pieces, but that you succeeded in giving us more than just a glimpse of your original intent.

Not that it matters for me to "approve," but I Do highly approve of your blend of natural instruments with synthesized textures. We're working with so many aural tools on our computers - why not layer instruments and sounds in a way only possible when we also utilize synthesizer creations? The undulating choir is effective also.

I'm both very impressed and very touched. Applause to you, my friend.

Randy B.

Hello Mr Hippie !

That is wonderful!
    Thanks much for your support sir.

Phil

John (bigears)

Hi Phil, I have just re-listened to the complete 3 movements.
    The "Prelude/Going Home" is very pleasing to listen to, it seems comforting and familiar.
    Thanks for taking the time to listen to it as a whole. The prelude was composed before I had the idea to try a requiem. I wrote it for a distressed friend with a very elderly mother and for everyone else also. It does work well as an intro.

Then comes the descent into Hell, "The Darkness".
    That repeated 3 note drum beat in the beginning, then the weird pitch bends and the cymbal crashes really have an ominous and eerie feeling. I also like the choral section of this.
    The dark music is something new for me and made me a little uneasy but there was something there to share.

Nice work on this Phil. I'm not very familiar with the requiem musical form, if there is one. I have listened to a couple of the biggies, the Mozart and the Faure. I think my favorite part of a requiem is the Mozart "Lacrymosa".
    Thanks for sharing your music. John
    You're probably more knowledgeable about the requiem form than I am. I"m just learning about it. Ha.ha.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Phil

Bill (wrayer)

Very nicely conceived, Phil. The three work together well as a suite. I agree with bigears, I think the light spends a little too much time in the "dark" before emerging, but that is personal taste.
    I was thinking about a purgatory movement so maybe the little dark music takes care of that.

I would have liked to have heard more melodic development. A string to carry through each of the moods you are painting.
    Yes, they are a little box like, probably because I have been building this without an original plan. I thought I was done after The Darkness but my neighbor and fellow chorister has been encouraging me to expand it.

The first movement reminded me of "Rolling Home" and the Dvorak Symphony.
    Someone mentioned that before. I'll have to listen to it, but I'm sure I have heard it on the radio.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast