• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for Loops browser

Share/Bookmark

Looking for Loops browser

I wonder if anyone can suggest a good loops browser/manager. I know there are modules built into Cubase and other programs, but I am looking for a standalone one for quick auditions and management so that I don't need to fire up anything heavy duty. I am happy to buy the best, but freeware is always nice

I have Loophorse, but I don't like its functionality. Any suggestions?

Re: Looking for Loops browser

How about itunes?
    Then there is soundminer, but it's pretty pricey.
    What does the Loop browser you're looking for has to be able to do?

Thanks for your response, mckracken. I checked out Soundminer. It certainly ticks all the boxes, but it is just too expensive.

What I need is software which will allow me to audition loops in all formats - MIDI, WAV, MP3 etc, to view them all in a 'gallery' format, to tag them with keywords/descriptions, to rearrange and organise them in groups and folders etc.

Hi You can try this..It's free.. http://www.uvisoundsource.com/uvi-wo.../articles_id/9 ..JON

>> jonkuzma

Thanks for the suggestion - downloaded and installed. Interesting bit of kit with some very nice twists, but without the ability to go 'full-screen', the browser is very cramped. The other problem is it won't audition MIDI files.

That's a pretty tall order, but for shear utility and abundance of features it's VERY hard to beat Audiofinder:

http://www.icedaudio.com/

Iced has a generous demo. The other indispensable tool for my auditioning purposes if the shareware "Toolplayer" Looks like it's now called "Vox"

http://www.voxapp.net/

It's like Soundjam, just drag a pile of files on it or just one from a folder and it plays them in order. Stop, go back and forth etc...a must for listening to files easily.

>> Dinerdog

...ah, you would be a Mac then!

Yes, my world is small, and I never even think outside the (Mac) box. Ooops : >

Btw, users and lovers of the famous "Total Commander" can use its unbeaten flexibility and plugin resources to build their own audio-browser.

In practice you set up a so-called "Lister plugin" to display data like: duration (time/ms), samplerate, bitrate, channels, comments, author, etc. After that, upon a pre-defined keystroke your well known file tree suddenly displays the data mentioned above (but it's only a selection, you can display any available information you want to). A hit on (e.g.) F3 plays the file no matter if it's midi or mp3 or wav or flac or...

Total Commander allows you to search the tags and displays the results in a list. You can even store this. So looking for (e.g.) the comment="Acoustic" leads to all files that have this tag. Of course you can combine searches like: "Acoustic" + ".wav" + "48khz" or something.

It's definately not a one-click-solution and you should visit their extremly helpful forums to customize it but if you need to use a Pro-file-manager anyway TC is always worth to try. For me it's in the list of the top-50 programs of our time. :-)

edit: The Url is http://www.ghisler.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kollo View Post
    Btw, users and lovers of the famous "Total Commander" can use its unbeaten flexibility and plugin resources to build their own audio-browser...
    For me it's in the list of the top-50 programs of our time. :-)
    I quote every word, but imposthume is looking for mac solution and Total Commander doesn't exist for mac (the top reason I will never use a mac).

For me is on top of the list of top-2 programs of our time (the other was Windows Commander ;-)

EDIT: sorry, I understand now that imposthume is looking for pc software so I agree with Kollo about Total Commander

Go Back to forum