• Register
  • Help

Topic: I've been quiet.. I've been busy...

I've been quiet.. I've been busy...

I haven't said much these last months, because like Gary, I too have been a busy little bee (though not hobnobbing with the Lucases of the world at their exclusive ranch and whatnot... ).

I have been working on a project here in my new adopted home: a music festival. And happily, it is seeing the light of day.

The city has backed me 100%, and today (in 2 hours) I get to meet my new board of directors. So now, I can add "president and music director" to my resumé.

The festival will be small at first (aren't they all?), but we don't plan on it becoming an international type thing. We like to think of it as a "spring-board" for young performers, and as well, we are incorporating a "new music" side to the festival.

There is a regional festival south of us that deals in popular music, encouraging young artists and new music in the pop music field....
    Well, we want to be the same thing for lyrical (ie: accessible) new concert music. The reason we're specifying the "lyrical/accessible" side, is that there are already MANY venues for new avant-garde music in the region, and we feel that there is a need for support of those who don't fit into that category.

This year's edition is dedicated primarily to French music. Since next year is the 100th anniversary of Samuel Barber's birth, the festival will be dedicated to "Music of the Americas".

I will keep you all updated on the progress of the project. We will be having meetings every week for a while, to deal with all the set-up issues (costs, etc..). Hopefully, next year, we will be eligible for some government funding to help shore us up a little (somehow, while I'm hopeful, and ever optimistic, I doubt that ticket-sales will be enough to keep us running).

Two of my pieces will be performed at the festival this year! My woodwind quintet (which is also being recorded next week for a demo CD by the ensemble who premiered it), and I am trying to have two movements of my violin sonata (it has six movements) included on another concert programme.

The festival will also see a performance of Alan Belkin's new Piano Trio (I don't know if it will be the premiere... I suspect that might be happening just a few weeks earlier).

Central Illinois

Re: I've been quiet.. I've been busy...

Félicitations Michel! En vous souhaitant beaucoup de succès.
    Quel plaisir d'entendre votre propre musique!

Congratulations! Wishing you much success!

I was wondering where you've been lately. Congratulations and much success with the festival. I certainly hope you're finding time to write as well.

Steve Winkler

Hey, that's wonderful news, Michel! Congratulations.

Best regards,

Shelton, Washington State

The festival sounds really exciting and hopefully a lot of fun.

I wish you much success with your music.

Good to hear about your present musical journey. I knew
    you had to be involved with something exciting because we
    hadn't heard from you in quite awhile.

This festival sounds very intriguing and I know your input
    will help move the project forward.

Also nice to know that your music will be played once again.
    It is really good and deserves to be heard more regularly.

Is it possible that we will hear some of Alan's Trio before the
    live performance or is it not in a position to be introduced yet?

Wishing you great success,

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum