• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The Holly and the Ivy"

Share/Bookmark

"The Holly and the Ivy"

Long-time listener, first time caller, or something. Anyway, this is my arrangement of "The Holly and the Ivy," composed in Finale 2009 and played through Garritan Aria using handbells, harp, flute, violin, cello, contrabass, and piano.

Enjoy, or not,

Matthew

Re: "The Holly and the Ivy"

Hi, Matthew - Welcome to The Listening Room! I'm glad you finally "called in." hehe.

I really enjoyed this! I don't think I've ever heard a piece using the Handbells so extensively, so that was a treat, and then as the recording unfolded, I continuously enjoyed your flowing arrangement - Loved the counter rhythm introduced by the piano around 1:50.

Thank you for the very enjoyable track!

Randy B.

Hi Matthew and Welcome! Nice arrangement of this classic Christmas song.
    I too enjoyed this as it developed. I like your choice of instruments on this. How do you like the Aria interface? Thanks for sharing! John

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I really enjoyed this! I don't think I've ever heard a piece using the Handbells so extensively...
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! I actually work a bit as a handbell composer/arranger, so it was pretty natural for me to include handbells in the piece. My goal is this year was to try to compose/arrange more pieces that include handbells in combination with multiple other instruments (rather than handbells alone or with one other timbre), so "The Holly and the Ivy" was part of that self-directive.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Loved the counter rhythm introduced by the piano around 1:50.
    Yeah, the piece never quite worked for me until I came up with the triplets-against-eighths idea for the piano -- glad that worked for you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    How do you like the Aria interface?
    I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I will say that it was pretty intuitive to use once I figured out the convoluted way to get to it from Finale. (Maybe there's a less convoluted way than going to MIDI/Audio>Instrument Setup>VST Instruments>Instruments for Finale 2009>Edit, but I don't know what it is.)

Matthew

Matthew:

A very nice arragnement of this classic. The instrumentation
    works well, but in listening to the mp3 on my system, I had
    the impression that the harp was way too loud. Some nice
    lines in the strings were covered up. As I say, it may have
    been that my setup was out of balance.

Welcome, and I hope we hear a lot more of your musical
    arrangements and, perhaps, some original scores.

You must be having fun with Finale 2009. With some work, you
    can produce some really nice-sounding performances.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    A very nice arragnement of this classic. The instrumentation
    works well, but in listening to the mp3 on my system, I had
    the impression that the harp was way too loud.
    The mix I had before that had the harp too far back, so I raised it up a bit on the version I posted -- probably too much. The next mix, I'll probably take the harp down again a bit. Only 50 or more mix attempts to go on this piece before I finally get it right...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Welcome, and I hope we hear a lot more of your musical
    arrangements and, perhaps, some original scores.
    Absolutely, once I have some time to work with the mixes and instrumentation of some of my other arrangements. I just moved last month to Finale 2009 from -- egad! -- Finale 2003, so the vast majority of pieces I've never even heard with "Human Playback" and Garritan.)

Matthew

Very nice. I used to be in a Hand Bell choir along time ago when I was a kid, and yes......that was along time ago.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

That was really nice Matthew.

Welcome to the forum and keep posting.

I have a third cousin my age who is a bell ringer and composes for bells and choir. He has been music director at The American Church Of Paris for 32 years. I've never met him but I hope to someday if I get over to France.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I have a third cousin my age who is a bell ringer and composes for bells and choir. He has been music director at The American Church Of Paris for 32 years.
    Fred Gramann, right? He's a very good handbell composer/arranger -- in my view, one of the five best in the genre.

Matthew

This is a very nice arrangement.

I know very little about arranging which is why I am now taking a class on it. Today I hand in my first ever arrangement of a piece not written by me (Brahm's Lullaby).

I enjoyed this even if it isn't Christmas anymore.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Go Back to forum