• Sibelius_Composer_UK

1 6.25%
  • Ernstinen

1 6.25%

Topic: Pingu's GOS Competition Poll

Share/Bookmark

Pingu's GOS Competition Poll

Originally posted by Pingu:

I promised I'd give my copy of GOS to the forum member who submitted the best string composition. We now have four entries. Please take time to listen to them, and indicate which you think should win.

Thanks in advance

Here are the entries:-

RobH
    http://www.box.net/shared/7plpc00lo7

SerenityMusician
    http://www.box.net/shared/mhm8jfc42p

Sibelius_Composer_UK
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/1/2/8/128475.mp3

edit:
    A slightly delayed entry (with a good excuse) from Ernstinen.
    http://www.box.net/shared/15on53qri1

Re: Pingu's GOS Competition Poll

Thanks Tony!!
    David

SerenityMusician, may I ask your recording setting? It is a real recording, right? What kind of room was it, how was it miced? Really beautiful and film-like sound... did you add the "glitches" and hum (like in the beginning) or does it just come from the recording? I like them very much and was wondering what caused them (=how to make them).

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure about revealing my choice. In any case, my vote goes to RobH's Creation Overture, for its beautiful melody lines.

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    SerenityMusician, may I ask your recording setting? It is a real recording, right? What kind of room was it, how was it miced? Really beautiful and film-like sound... did you add the "glitches" and hum (like in the beginning) or does it just come from the recording? I like them very much and was wondering what caused them (=how to make them).
    First, I want to thank you so much for the compliment, especially sounding "film-like." That was what I had hoped to get across. This piece has some significance for me as I had recently gone through a divorce and it pretty much described what I was feeling at the time: sadness for the end of a relationship but hope for the future.

Second, this was recorded in a big church in Madison, Wisconsin by a professional string orchestra. Honestly, it's been so long ago since this was recorded (1993) it's hard to remember what was used. I did not have anything to do with the recording, it was set up by someone else. I do recall they used a DAT recorder for the recording. The recording you hear was originally on a cassette tape which I transferred to an MP3 file which is where you may be hearing some of that hum and glitches. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have wanted to share this piece with the forum for a long time.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Thankyou to everyone who voted here! And thankyou to the composers - I loved all four entries.

Well done to Serenitymusician; I'll be in touch.
    David

A big "thank you" to all those who voted for me. All of entrees were great and extremely creative.

I am really honored. Thanks again so much!!!

Gary

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Congrats Gary!

I don't know about you, but I was a bit disappointed that so few actually voted.

Enjoy your new (old) library!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robh View Post
    I don't know about you, but I was a bit disappointed that so few actually voted.
    I was wondering about that too, Rob. I also wondered why there were only a few submissions. I love to write for strings and, with so many people on the forum, I'm really surprised there was just the four of us.

I really did love your piece! Excellent writing! Let me know if you ever get it performed. I'll talk to my Canadian friends who live here in the states about coming up to hear it!!!

Gary

Go Back to forum