• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New to GPO

New to GPO

First track completed 'Reflection' for piano and violin using GPO and Sib 5.
    Haven't really got the hang of using Mod Wheel, more complicated than I thought.
    Anyhow, this piece is part of an album 'Silent Thoughts' which is undergoing its final stage of post-production. It is classical meditation, so sit back, take time out and relax your body and spirit.
    Let me know what you think - don't be too cruel, it's my first attempt.

Listen here:

Central Illinois

Re: New to GPO

Hi and Welcome to the community! You have brought a lovely piece for your first time out. The piano sounds great and you have a nice touch, loved the little descending rippling runs.
    The violin still has a few issues to deal with. IMHO the vibrato was excessive most of the time. The attacks also seemed pretty strong at times, and the volume jumped quickly a few times. I'm not familiar with Sibelius and don't know what editing functions you have with it, but I'm sure there is someone here who could give some advice to help tame the violin a bit.
    This is a really nice piece! Thank you for sharing it, I also liked the function and sound in the Northern Sounds.net player. Good luck with your project. John

Welcome! This is a lovely first post - some very poignant moments. From the technical side of things, you might want to experiment with more legato (in Sib 5, just draw a slur over the notes you want phrased/grouped together). Also, some of the attacks were a bit strong - you can decrease the Velocity, and that should help. Maybe a little more reverb?

I hope you take these as helpful suggestions - it's really a very nice piece.

Look forward to hearing more.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

some of the attacks were a bit strong - you can decrease the Velocity.

Haven't got to grips with using the Mod wheel, find it difficult just to get the basics sorted. Just about managing to control volume and dim/cresc, haven't got as far as velocity yet, its a bit mind boggling at the moment (LOL) hopefully this will improve with use.

... and WOW, Dead Can Dance. I still have an old VHS tape of them performing live.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Welcome Peter:

Very nice piece and the accompaniment is very well
    engineered. I would agree with the others that editing
    your string sounds would really improve the performance.

Doesn't Sib 5 control volume with DYNAMIC markings like
    Finale or do you really use the mod-wheel?

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Maestro Peter,

The flowing piano lines in this are breathtaking, and the melody played by the violin is very sensitive. From a technical standpoint, once you've mastered CC1, look into legato transitions too (these are handled by the sustain pedal). They can work wonders for lines like the ones in this piece.

Doesn't Sib 5 control volume with DYNAMIC markings

Sib 5 does, but I'm new to Sib 5 as well (sib 4 for many years) and 5 seems so much more complicated to figure out especially with playback settings - even with help files.
    I'm sure I'll get the hang of it (in a couple of years - lol).

Try my next piece which has just arrived - Song of Meditation for piano, violin and cello.

Thanks to all for responding and if you wouldn't mind, could someone please point me in the right direction for 'step-by-step' guide to using the mod wheel?

Thanks again

Central Illinois

Hi Peter, I would recommend that you learn as much as you can about Sibelius, as any fine control over your instruments will have to be done in the Edit window or pane in Sibelius. Here is a link to a bunch of video tutorials on youtube that should get you part way there. John

Hello, Piano Maestro, and welcome to the Garritan Forum!

"Reflection" is a very beautiful piece, and along with other people who have already responded here, I want to thank you for letting us hear it. Both the Piano and the Violin's lines are well developed and effective - Very nice!

Also along with my fellow posters, I want to encourage you to learn using Sibelius more thoroughly. I have that notation program also and use it only occasionally since my main way of working is with a sequencer, Sonar in my case.

The You Tube postings of the Sib tutorials are helpful in case you haven't seen them already. I went to look at them again since Big Ears posted them - I wanted to see if I had missed something about using the Mod Wheel in Sib - I guess I'm still not positive, but I didn't think that was an option in Sib, as Jack said.

There is "flexi-time" input in Sib, which is playing music into Sib in real time - but I've found that very awkward, at least compared to recording in a DAW like Sonar. I think that volume controls and other dynamics are only controlled in Sib through score markings which are either left in as part of the score or hidden in order to get a more natural sounding recording. Maybe I'm incorrect?

I've noticed from postings that not all Sib users rely on the program to achieve finished recordings - I know I only use it for when I absolutely have to have good looking print outs. But for recordings I just have to get into Sonar with a project, since that program is designed to produce recordings.

I'm mentioning all of this because the Violin in your piece definitely needs work - not the composition of the Violin's line, but the playback of the instrument. It sounds like all of the velocities are at the same value and that's producing the constantly strong attack. I honestly don't know how people manage to get something like a Violin's part to sound natural through a notation program - expert users Do manage it, but that's the sort of thing which is much easier to achieve in a DAW like Sonar or Cubase.

I'm concerned that you said your album of music is in "post-production." That phrase refers to the work done to polish a CD's master tracks after all the recording is actually done. I would strongly suggest that you use your MIDI data to craft a more satisfactory playback before releasing your album--and I feel it would involve delving into an audio/MIDI program - but I feel your music would greatly benefit.

Or - learn more on how to get satisfactory recordings from Sib - I just feel that's a much more difficult approach since the main purpose of Sib is to produce printed scores.

Back to the music though - I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast