• Register
  • Help

Topic: Changing Perspectives (Organ)

Share/Bookmark

Changing Perspectives (Organ)

Well, I don't know why, but I have lately been more inclined to write for organ than piano. I suppose the tendency has always been present, but suppressed. I remember back in 1954, my friends would sometimes comment/complain that I tried to make the piano sound like an organ. I have some piano music under construction, but the organ insists on dominating my ideas. My most recent effort:

Changing Perspectives (Organ)

For ease of listening, I suggest that you concentrate on one voice, mostly the pedals, and listen to the relationships and interactions of the voices. It is very much linear. Harmony is certainly an element, but melodic relations are the main governing factor.

10 minutes of GPO organ, slightly modified by me. Four movements, approximately equal length.

Richard

Re: Changing Perspectives (Organ)

Richard,

I really like the lines that move this piece along. You are right and as the composer, you should be about following the pedal line to get your bearings in this piece. Our ears have become so accostumed to vertical harmonization that too many of us have lost the relationships of sounds that can develop from linear construction. The coda section gets a little more harmony oriented as you accelerate to the finish (very nice, indeed).

I like the linear construction of this piece and compliment you on the flow of the piece.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi Richard, Your pieces always make me stretch and strain a bit to come to grips with them. Thanks for the tip on listening to this piece, I need all the help I can get sometimes, and thanks for another organ extravaganza. John

Well, thanks, guys. Comments are always helpful and appreciated.

As usual, once I have exposed a piece to public scrutiny, I have reviewed it many times and discovered that a change was necessary, as the two middle sections seemed to drag a bit (after listening to it probably 20 more times). Therefore, I have increased the tempo of the second section from 96 to 120, and the third from 88 to 96. It moves a bit smoother and is easier to follow now. But I have not yet uploaded the changed version, as that will be a two or three hour project!

Meanwhile, back to the drawing board for a project I have had in mind for a few years. Maybe now I will be able to work it out!

Richard

The changes are for the most part subtle on this piece so you have to grab onto a voice and really listen.

It's really quite beautiful in it's own unique way.

Phil

Go Back to forum