• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for a good VST spectrum analyzer

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a good VST spectrum analyzer

Folks,

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good spectrum analyzer VST plugin?

Any comments also on how useful they can be for recording/mixing and/or mastering?

Regards.

NDEE

Re: Looking for a good VST spectrum analyzer

Hi, NDEE

Look here:

http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...?TOPIC_ID=2222

"Inspector" is a free VST spectrum analyzer which I use, and is highly recommended by best-selling author of the Sonar Power books, Scott Garrigus.

How useful are spectrum analyzers? They're invaluable. They are the only way you can See what's going on with the frequencies in your mix. Strange boomy bass frequency sticking out? Find it easily. Run a pro recording through that you like - look at what its curve looks like - compare it to your own recording--Enlightening!

Randy B.

Agreed, the Inspector is the best spectrum freebie there is. The curve slopes a bit to the right but that's no big deal.

Good point, rbowser:

How useful are spectrum analyzers? They're invaluable. They are the only way you can See what's going on with the frequencies in your mix. Strange boomy bass frequency sticking out? Find it easily. Run a pro recording through that you like - look at what its curve looks like - compare it to your own recording--Enlightening!
    Comparing your mixes to what professionals do is always an excellent idea. With the spectrum analyzer you have one more tool to give you a sense of how you are doing. I haven't done so recently but I should probably get back to making spectrum comparisons (see how far afield I have gone ).
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Uh, I just checked out digifreq's spectrum analyzer and plugins. These are not exactly free. After 14 days you have to buy them and they aren't cheap. The Signature bundle of all of them is $999. The Spectrum Analyzer is $249. So watch how you make states that include the word free. I would have said "trial" or demo for for free.

I am not upset so don't read to heavily into the above comments but I thought readers would like to know before starting a 433 mb download (and it isn't clear on the download page what the cost is) that the bundle would (after 2 weeks) cost $999. Digifreq also uses iLok which I am not a fan of. Mainly because all ten of my USB ports are currently filled.

They have great tools and if you are looking to buy then this trial period is great to give their products a thorough testing.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

A few that I use are Voxengo SPAN http://www.voxengo.com/product/SPAN/ and some of the Stillwell/Schwa plugins http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=28 -- specifically, schOPE, MicroSchope, and Spectro.

SPAN is free. Stillwell/Scwha plugins follow the REAPER model of an unlimited/full-feature demo period, but you are encouraged to purchase if you continue using them.

From the schOPE page http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=26:

schOPE! A multitool, multiview, multichannel waveform, frequency, and stereo phase analyzer that lets you superimpose and view multiple audio signals from every dimension.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Rich! - Thanks for the heads up on the link I posted. I don't get it - It was probably about 2 years ago that I got Inspector, and at the time it was definitely free. I still have the fully functioning copy of it, no trial period or come-on involved. HMmmm, looks like things have changed.

I didn't do a thorough Google check - maybe there's a different site for Inspector where it's still actually free - ? But unfortunately it looks like the info I posted from Scott Garrigus is out of date. SOrry!

Lunker mentioned Span, which is another perfectly good analyzer I use and it was free when I got it, apparently it still truly is.

When in doubt, Google up "spectrum analyzer" if you want to find more choices.

Randy B.

Inspector is still a free download, from the Roger Nichols main website. http://www.rndigital.org/inspector.html

Inspector XL, which includes a whole suite of mastering tools and meters, is the one with the 14-day trial.

RNDigital, Voxengo, and Stillwell all make excellent products.

Ah! Thanks much, Reegs, for finding the right link. Good to know the version of Inspector I first mentioned is still free. Thanks!

Randy B.

Does Har-Bal do spectrum analysis? I'm surprised it's not been mentioned, yet.

Go Back to forum