• Register
  • Help

Topic: I may get to play again!

Share/Bookmark

Smile I may get to play again!

Sorry about the OT, but I'm quite excited. I haven't played piano for years now and, without specific goals, my technique has withered to almost nothing.

Now it's looking like I'll play Rhapsody in Blue (I know it's really easy, but it's all I can manage, going from nothing, with about 10 minutes a day to practise. In any case the kind of audience I'll be playing to will think I've done something really amazing, whereas, if I could play Brahms 2, they'd say it was ok, but not Gershwin) this May. There's a brass band called Fodens, who have strong connections with the school where I teach, and always give their patrons' concert there. My boss is principle trombone, and, this year, band chairman, and thought it would be nice to strengthen the ties with the school. So I get to play! Yea!

Better pull out my finger exercises.
    David

Re: I may get to play again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Sorry about the OT, but I'm quite excited. I haven't played piano for years now and, without specific goals, my technique has withered to almost nothing.

Now it's looking like I'll play Rhapsody in Blue (I know it's really easy, but it's all I can manage, going from nothing, with about 10 minutes a day to practise. In any case the kind of audience I'll be playing to will think I've done something really amazing, whereas, if I could play Brahms 2, they'd say it was ok, but not Gershwin) this May. There's a brass band called Fodens, who have strong connections with the school where I teach, and always give their patrons' concert there. My boss is principle trombone, and, this year, band chairman, and thought it would be nice to strengthen the ties with the school. So I get to play! Yea!

Better pull out my finger exercises.
    Sounds exciting to me! You must be thrilled about it. But don't over work on the exercises! Congratulations!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Sounds exciting to me! You must be thrilled about it. But don't over work on the exercises! Congratulations!

Richard
    Thanks Richard. Yeah, I have to be really careful with the finger exercises - my right arm is still not right. It's got a lot better, but some days I wake up and it's gone backwards a month. The more extreme finger exercises would just be asking for trouble.
    David

Good for you!

Yes...Fodens...Glyn Williams=solo euph, right??!?
    Congrats...wish I could come & back you up!!
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Congratulations Dave! And it's not like the Rhapsody in blue is a piece of cake. There are a few hard parts in there!

Have fun practicing again, for a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Yes...Fodens...Glyn Williams=solo euph, right??!?
    Congrats...wish I could come & back you up!!
    Jim
    Indeed, Glyn is a phenomenal player. He'll probably send a dep for the night though.
    David

Go Back to forum