• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Heat records broken, Bushfires, Deaths in Victoria Australia

Share/Bookmark

OT: Heat records broken, Bushfires, Deaths in Victoria Australia

I thought you might like to know that Victoria, one of the most populous states in Australia has been having an unprecedented heatwave. Temperatures yesterday hit 48 degrees celsius (118+ in farenheit). 25 confirmed deaths with more expected Six people found dead in one car trying to escape. 100 homes destroyed so far and several townships gone. Melbourne (population 3 million+) hit 46.4C (115.5F). That is a new record for Melbourne.

There have been several days where it has topped 44, 45 recently in both Melbourne and Adelaide. And some places here are expected to hit 47.

Re: OT: Heat records broken, Bushfires, Deaths in Victoria Australia

Yikes. Hope all the Australia members of the forum stay safe.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

It sounds like summer weather here in Phoenix, Arizona. Hottest day since I've been here was 118F (48C) so I know what that feels like. We had a hot spell a few years ago where it hit 117F 4 days in a row.

Brushfires are a big problem here, so we know what you're going thru.

Jim

Its been an horrendous couple of days.

Today is much cooler, but some of the fires whipped up yesterday are as big as 20,000 hectares, with the wind behind them, so its got some way to go yet.

Im glad my girlfriend is no longer covering general news for The Age, ( Melbourne newspaper)- they'd probably try to get her out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    It sounds like summer weather here in Phoenix, Arizona. Hottest day since I've been here was 118F (48C) so I know what that feels like. We had a hot spell a few years ago where it hit 117F 4 days in a row.

Brushfires are a big problem here, so we know what you're going thru.

Jim
    Heh Jim,
    I'm from Melbourne and now living in Phoenix (six and a bit years now). I fancy the humidity in Melbourne yesterday was considerably higher than we get when it reaches 115 - and when we get the humidity the temperature drops. All in all, I'm glad I wasn't there yesterday (though I still can't get used to it being cold at Christmas time!).

Death toll now confirmed at 66 and certain to grow as they make their way through the wreckage.

More than 700 houses destroyed.
    Whole townships gone.

There was one story of a firefighter who was battling a blaze and his wife and children were killed at home while his own home was destroyed around them.

Many terrible stories. Many heroic stories.

Death toll now 84

My heart and my blessings go out to you and all the folks in Victoria, Australia. Global warming is definitely rearing its ugly head. While you are roasting in the record breaking heatwave, we in the northern midwest, USA are experiencing a long snowfall that has had the ground covered since the beginning of December. Now I know that is not as dangerous as the fires and heatwave, but it does point out the extremes that are associated with global warming. I certainly hope the politicians and leaders of the world start to heed what is going on and take measures. We as people can try to help, but I afraid we cannot do it without the governments of the world united on this front.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Death toll now 108 and fires near where my parents and sister live. Meanwhile my brother, in northern Queensland (tropics) is cut off in floods as a result of a small cyclone. Two people have died there trying to cross a swollen river.

Go Back to forum