• Register
  • Help

Topic: My MIDI files with those expensive libraries

Share/Bookmark

My MIDI files with those expensive libraries

Hi,

I currently compose music with my Sound Blaster Audigy and Gigasampler, mixed with soundfonts. I would like to know how my MIDI files would hear using those expensive libraries like GOS, AO , Dan Dean Brass, Dan Dean Woodwinds, etc....

Can somebody be kind enough to make a demo from my MIDI file?

Archangel

Re: My MIDI files with those expensive libraries

Hi Archangel,

I\'m not volunteering to make demos, but I can tell you from experience that SMF instruments do NOT respond like their more detailed and expensive counterparts.

I bought GS with the Conextant GM500 library, thinking(hoping) I could simply remap my existing tracks I have optimized for the Roland SC-88.

About 15% of the tracks sound as good or better than the original. The others either need to have the start time adjusted (back off or advance 3-20 ticks of 408 in Digital Performer) or significant volume changes, or both. Of those, probably 25% need to be completely redone, as the feel of the library is different, and the track doesn\'t work anymore-it\'s kind of like taking a fairly dense orchestrated file and transposing up a fourth-the notes are correct, but it no longer feels right.

Bottom line, you\'ll probably need to do a significant bunch of work on your tracks to make them sound like you want (but it will be SOOOO worth it!)

Dasher

Hi,

thanks for the info. Only problem is I cannot afford to buy those libraries, and I can\'t know how to arrange my tracks to be in the \"feel\" of the library if I don\'t have it..Anyways thanks a lot ,

Archangel

AA, I think the problem is, all the different libraries respond differently-A trumpet swell is faster on one that the other, and that same orchestra may may the string attacks longer. So I don\'t believe you\'ll get acceptable results \'pre-programming\' anything, unless you\'re a believer in strict quantising-then you could determine that, for example, using a Roland SC-88 as the \'base\' time reference, GOS fast attack strings need to be set +3 ticks, but Mirislav needs to be +2, while Mir trumpets need to be -2 and Dan Dean\'s need to be +7 to attain that \'perfect fit\'

All in all, I\'d suggest writing for what you\'ve got, within its limits, and when you get a better product, develop a usable solution.

Dasher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    GOS fast attack strings need to be set +3 ticks, but Mirislav needs to be +2, while Mir trumpets need to be -2 and Dan Dean\'s need to be +7 to attain that \'perfect fit\'

Dasher
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just what do you mean by ticks?
    I quantize in Cakewalk using 1/16th note... but what is the tick?

Archangel

Go Back to forum