• Register
  • Help

Topic: And The Most Used Sound Fx In a TV Score Goes to....

Share/Bookmark

And The Most Used Sound Fx In a TV Score Goes to....

After watching years of History Channel, Discovery, Nat Geo Channel tv shows I 've picked up on the use of particular one shot sound fx in many music scores. It sounds like a stretched bell or metallic tone with a predominately twinging decay. It's very cool sound that works well to punctuate an emotion in a tv shows music score.

Its use is so frequent, dare I say it's overused. Don't get me wrong, I love this sound. So do many others as it seems. I find it became amusing hearing it over and over, much like the Wilhelm Scream is used in almost every action movie/tv in the last 50+ years. You can't watch Lucas/Spielberg/Jackson films without picking it out. I hear the scream in all manner of cartoons and animation as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

Anyways, I'm sure some of you sages already know the sounds origin, but I always wondered where this sound came from. So, while browsing Omni soundsources I finally came cross the metallic one shot sound called.......Rusty Spoke. Originally released in Distorted Reality 1. According to the Soundsource Zoom keywords; metals/Bowed Oil Cans.
    Author: Eric Persing. I should have known. Well done.

It's quite possible in 50 years people will be asking the same question "What's that sound from?"

Rusty Spoke....the next Wilhelm Scream of sound design?

ms

Re: And The Most Used Sound Fx In a TV Score Goes to....

Yep...that's by far my most overused sound of all time. Even way more than Fantasia or Digital Native Dance or Soundtrack from the D-50. :-)

Rusy Spoke/Oilcan Bow from DR1 has been in constant use since 1995 when DR1 was released.

It also appeared on the Roland SFX board for the JV/XP/XV synths and shows up mixed into some of the FX sound menus on Stylus RMX too.

Of course it's in Omnisphere too, but we haven't used it in any patches yet....at least not in the most obvious way that you've heard it a million times already. :-)

Yep... I hear that 'Oil Can Bow' at least a dozen times a day, while doing paperwork (love the Space Channel.. ).

In fact after getting DR1 & 2 - and going thru the sounds - it is tough to overestimate how much use those sounds get. Lets face it.. on deadline, you use what you know works. Those sounds do - really well.

Cheers
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Eric has left a lot of sonic footprints in the history of modern music.
    And giant ones for sure!

Thanks for all the inspiration!!

If someone would tell me that Eric's great-grandfather has been involved in the production of the Big Ben bell (Palace of Westminster) I wouldn't doubt it.

Oh yeah, I remember when I went through DR 1 & 2 or Metamorphosis for the first time, without knowing what exactly it is. I just couldn't believe what I'm hearing and kept laughing all the time, you know, like "Damn! All those great sounds and loops that I keep hearing over and over everywhere and are so amazing were created by this one guy! That's so incredible!" And what's more, I could have them too, because Spectrasonics' prices are really reasonable!

So BIG Kudos and Thanks for Eric!
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

I have to say that for the past few years, the one sound that seems HORRIBLY over used and mainly in the reality tv market is the cymbal swell. They use that to transition from every single shot sometimes. It makes me overly sensitive to the fact that they are using samples because you hear it again and again and again. Just my observation.

On another note, I cant believe I still dont own Omni. Dont get me wrong, I will. It's on the very top of my wish list right now. It's just that the economy sucks so bad right now around here that I'm going to have to wait.

Eric W, if you only knew...

I'm using that kind of sound (cymbal swoosh) all over a competition reality-tv show for teens. What can I say? It works for everyone involved, makes what could be interpreted as oh-hum much more exciting ("... And they're OFF!"). It's a real cliche, but, as in all cliches, there's a reason why it's overused - it just works! FWIW, due to having little time for research early on (or for my own recording sesions), I relied on G-Town (Tobias is soooo generous and talented) Cymbals.

Lol. Yeah, I do realize it serves a purpose and I am also guilty of using it here and there. I often use the EWQLSO cymbals and I think that's what a loy of them are that I'm hearing out there.

Go Back to forum