• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi Keyboard

Share/Bookmark

Midi Keyboard

Hiya,

Im looking at purchasing a midi keyboard for around £350 (im from the Uk) which is about $550 will pay more if it is good though. This would to be used for Garritan Personal Orchestra, needing pitch control and sustain pedal etc, what is a good make/keyboard/electric piano that i could get for that money ? for that price range can you get weighted keys, kind of like a piano ?

Any help would be much appreciated as im a guitarist and dont know much about keyboards.

Thankyou

Ben1982

Re: Midi Keyboard

Hey Ben

I've been searching for a new keyboard as well with hammer feel and 88 keys. So far my mind is steering toward the Studiologic VMK188 Plus Master Controller which the dub as their "flag ship" keyboard. It sells for around $600 or more depending on where you purchase. From what I have seen, Studiologic "Fatar" keyboards are in several price ranges starting at $399 and up. Most of them have the hammer action keyboard. Also, except for M-Audio, I've read Studiologic's hammer action 88 keyboard is used in several other manufactures keyboard. They are made in Italy so maybe you can find one to try at a near by music store.
    Google Studiologic "Fatar" and see what you think.
    Styxx

I had a Fatar keyboard for years and loved it. It was my go to weighted keyboard. So +1 with StudioLogic Fatars.

That being said, I've found that I greatly prefer a semi-weighted keyboard for using GPO and other libraries. In fact, I only use weighted for playing piano parts. YMMV, but I would consider the weighted vs non-weighted issue carefully.

I like the CME UF70 myself. I get everything I need, velocity curves, aftertouch, even a breath controller input. The keyboard isn't perfect (what keyboard is?) but I still really like it.

The Axiom keyboards look pretty tempting, but I've not used one personally.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

If you're looking to simply input midi information to your sequencer/notation program, my vote is M-Audio's Keystation Pro 88. Although the keys don't have aftertouch, there are 9 phaders, 24 turn knobs, 17 buttons and the standard pitchbend and modulation wheels. It also has input jacks in the back for for sustain and expression pedals. ALL of these are programable. Because the weighted keys are just "so-so", I would not suggest this keyboard to get one's playing chops together. It may not even be the best keyboard for live performance situations. But it is a GREAT tool for sequencing projects. It's also relatively cheap in price. It costs about $400.00 dollars (USA dollars). This comes out to be about 310 in Euro's.

Just my 2-cents worth. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Studiologic also has an 88 semi weighted keyboard controller that looks mighty nice. I'm one for trying 'em out before I buy but the Fatar is very hard to find in music stores locally. Only on line can I find 'em.

I tried the M-Audio 88 Pro and didn't care too much for the feel of the keyboard. M-Audio introduced the Axiom Pro keyboards this past January. The look quite promising as a controller. Here's a bit of the scoop.

This 61-key USB MIDI Controller Puts You in Command!
    The M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 USB MIDI keyboard controller moves a great design even further forward! The Axiom Pro 61 adds such great features as proprietary HyperControl MIDI mapping and improved keyboard action, among others. This gives you an even more expressive playing experience while allowing you to take even more comprehensive control over your instruments. This controller includes a total of 65 MIDI-assignable controls, including eight trigger pads, eight rotary encoders, and six reassignable transport buttons for excellent interaction with your DAW for improved hands-on audio production. You also get 50 memory locations on the Axiom Pro 61.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum