• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composer's Neanderthal recreation

Share/Bookmark

Composer's Neanderthal recreation

A musical experience with a difference is being previewed at the National Museum Wales in Cardiff - an attempt to recreate the sound of the Neanderthals.

Jazz composer Simon Thorne was given the task of creating the "soundscape" to provide a musical backdrop to some of the ancient exhibits on display.

The musician says the work is "probably the most unusual" he has undertaken.

There has been strong interest in the composition and it will go on a separate live tour later in the year.

Linky

Re: Composer's Neanderthal recreation

This is very interesting stuff. I read a couple articles that were related after the linky you gave for hearing it. Quite an undertaking to conceptualize what music would have been like 130,000 years ago.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Just wondering out loud here. . .

I wonder if the Neanderthal music was comprised mostly "simple" percussive instruments and vocal "chanting"??????

Of course, the music was reinforced using only the best microphones, mixers, effects processors, amps and speakers available at that time. . .

It would be interesting to hear what Simon Thorne composes for the exhibit. (And to be painfully honest, I've never heard of Simon Thorne.).

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan View Post
    Jazz composer Simon Thorne was given the task of creating the "soundscape" to provide a musical backdrop to some of the ancient exhibits on display.
    I think Karlheinz Stockhausen already composed this type of music. It's called "Stimmung" and the vocalizations Simon Thorne is using sounds very reminesent of that work.

Interesting to hear and more interesting if one could visit the exhibit and see it with that musical backdrop.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan View Post
    the sound of the Neanderthals.
    My music has oft been described that way.

Here's the real thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkz83VFEk1A

@ 4:10

Go Back to forum