• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    posted this in the general discussion and i dont think its been viewed. trying here

    How do you guys find the appropriate BPM for a film or video? Is this something the creator of the video usually provides? Is BPM something they often consider while filming?

    I recently starting rescoring an old cartoon just for fun, but it already had a track to it, so it was easy. But if there was nothing to go by, i'm not sure how i would go about finding the appropriate BPM so that all the hits line up to specific parts in the video.

    Much appreciated.

  2. #2

    Re: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    Surely you decide where to make the sound track match the film. Most sequencers will show the time frame and so from the time between the match points you can work out the bpm.

    If, say, you want a stab, to be written 1 sec after an earlier one and the music is fast try 180 bpm

    if the second stab occurs at 1.2 seconds and then 60 sec / 1.2 = 50 bpm. These beats can be any size from 1/32 to 1 bar, you have to scale it up to suit the music.

    Hopes this gives you some idea but its really a matter of trial and error and a little maths
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX


  3. #3

    Re: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    Hey thanks for the reply!

    So to be sure i understand correctly, you first mark your locators at the points in the video you want the music to link to, then when that is done find a suitable bpm that hits all those points?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aequitas123 View Post
    find a suitable bpm that hits all those points?
    You're unlikely to find one bpm unless you're very lucky. If you are trying to hit all the hit points over let's say a shortish cue - then you may need to change the bpm quite regularly.

  5. #5

    Re: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    You're unlikely to find one bpm unless you're very lucky. If you are trying to hit all the hit points over let's say a shortish cue - then you may need to change the bpm quite regularly.

    So then should i skip certain hit points that don't match to the bpm i'm using? or should i change the bpm regularly?


    what about, for example, a minute long tv commercial? i suspect one bpm setting is enough for that!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aequitas123 View Post
    So then should i skip certain hit points that don't match to the bpm i'm using? or should i change the bpm regularly?


    what about, for example, a minute long tv commercial? i suspect one bpm setting is enough for that!
    The more you go into this the worse it will become actually.

    It depends is the simple answer. It's worth remembering that you don't have to hit every little thing that's going on - on the screen. If you're trying to do that Tom & Jerry style - then I would hazard a guess and say you will need to change the bpm quite often.

    For a minute commercial it depends on what you're trying to do. Is it like a Tom & Jerry cartoon or is it much simpler than that is again the simple solution.

  7. #7

    Re: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    So perhaps i shouldn't be so concerned with matching all the music to the hits and transitions?


    Thanks for the tips!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aequitas123 View Post
    So perhaps i shouldn't be so concerned with matching all the music to the hits and transitions?
    That's correct generally. If you want to hit every little thing on screen it's going to shake the audience up and become a trial. The important hits are the main thing and the trick is to keep it fairly smooth and unobtrusive at the same time, so you don't distract viewers from what they are watching. So choose the main hits you want to accentuate the most and keep it simple I would say.

  9. #9

    Re: OT: finding BPM (noob question)

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    That's correct generally. If you want to hit every little thing on screen it's going to shake the audience up and become a trial. The important hits are the main thing and the trick is to keep it fairly smooth and unobtrusive at the same time, so you don't distract viewers from what they are watching. So choose the main hits you want to accentuate the most and keep it simple I would say.
    Awesome! Thank you very much.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •