• Register
  • Help

Topic: Met Wonderful Musicians at Imbolc party

Share/Bookmark

Met Wonderful Musicians at Imbolc party

Kate and I went to a fantastic party last night, celebrating Imbolc with friends, as we have for three years now.

Imbolc is a Celtic tradition - info here.

For the bulk of the evening, one by one people present to the group whatever art they want to share. A university student read from her current screenplay project, two writers read passages from their current book projects, a lady showed us the intricate squares she's creating for a sewn-by-hand quilt. I put together a special video of "Dorian" clips.

A lady named Delana brought her Harp and played two pieces for us - She remembers Gary Garritan from the years when he was selling Harps at the Salem Art Fair.

And here are two musicians I especially wanted to tell the Forum about this morning.

Kent is the drummer for Sophe Lux (pronounced Sophie Lux) and he played us the newest tracks from the group - They are a unique band, and are getting very Hot.

Go take a listen on MySpace to SOPHE LUX. I'm sure some of you here will love what they're oding.

Ron Coelho had the most unusual presentation of the night. He showed us some of his great photographs while playing a CD of fantastic Jazz from Japan - Ron makes THE most sought after mouthpieces for Saxophones!

Here's Ron's website. He said that's all the promotion he wants. Younger people at the party were trying to talk him into being more high profile on the internet, but he patiently explained that some of the greateset Sax players around the world rely on him for his custom built mouthpieces, and word-of-mouth from his customers is all he wants and needs.

Ron is a Sax player himself, had a career as a performer - now he puts his knowledge of the instrument into building these mouthpieces which musicians rave about.

If you're a Sax player - you Have to go take a look at what Ron is doing.

INTERESTING folks - I wanted to share!

Randy B.

Re: Met Wonderful Musicians at Imbolc party

Wow! You celebrate Imbolc! Awesome!

Checked out the Sophe Lux's MySpace. Definitely a unique band; very catchy stuff.

Glad you got to spend time with such interesting people! Thanks for sharing!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Randy,

EVOE!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

That sure sounds like it was a fun event. Lots of creativity and variety.

There is going to be a fiddle festival in my neck of the woods in April. It's now the biggest in the state with several regional champs attending so maybe I'll check it out this year. I hope it isn't all blue grass music though. That gets old pretty quickly.

Phil

Thanks for the replies you guys - It was a fun, inspiring evening indeed. As someone said as the party broke up, it's a great concept for a get-together. More edifying than the usual free-form party where people don't get much of a chance to really interact with everyone else in attendance.

There was a structure to the evening, including the lighting of candles from three different flames - one for creativity/inspiration, one for passion and one for wisdom. Before presenting whatever it was we each wanted to share with the rest, we would light our personal candle from one of the three flames to best help us with our current endeavors.

But the structure didn't squelch spontaneity. There were plenty of laughs, a table full of good food to keep munching from, wines we all brought to sample from. It was a relaxed, friendly evening where everyone really had a good chance to be supportive of each person who came.

Daniel - glad you enjoyed Sophe Lux's page. They're getting some much-deserved attention these days. Kent, the drummer, told us how happy he is to have found a band he feels so challenged by. He's been a drummer for a long time, and after being in so many bands, he's finally found a group focusing on music they all feel excited and passionate about. Their collective focus and hard work shines through in their music. It was great to see how Kent is finally feeling he's part of a collective effort which is more worth his time than being in just another rock band.

Reber
    - ! - You sent me a-Googling with your "Evoe!" response - ! OK, an invocation to Bacchus--that's what you meant? Yeah, Something like that!

Phil, have fun at that fiddling contest. - I'm with you on the hope that it isn't heavy on the blue grass - That's fun music for a little while, but does get old quickly since there's so little variety in it. - Reminds me of my maternal grandfather, a man I never had the chance to meet. I'm told he was quite a fiddler back in Oklahoma.

Here's to everyone's health and a wish for you all - that you find deep satisfaction in your creative endeavors this year.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Reber - ! - You sent me a-Googling with your "Evoe!" response - ! OK, an invocation to Bacchus--that's what you meant? Yeah, Something like that!
    I could be wrong but I believe "evoe" is another way to say "Blessed Be." Anyhoo - happy times!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum