• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sunday

Hi folks old and new!

I'm just posting this new piece, "Sunday", which is my usual soft jazz, upbeat, using GPO and (numerous) other bits and pieces. Here's the link:

John Hawksley - Sunday
    (6 MB)

The rest of the library is here, as usual.

Since Tascam gave up on Giga I've been looking for an alternative since Giga was becoming so unstable. I bought "Extreme Sample Converter" and batch converted my gigs to Kontakt patches. This worked an absolute treat and I'm now rid of Giga forever; my PC doesn't crash and I can create without having to worry about crashes :-)

Anyway I hope you like the piece all,

All the best,
    John Hawksley
    Composition & Arrangement

Re: Sunday

Good to have your music back on the Forum.

Through the years, I have really enjoyed your sampled
    music endeavors whatever the style........

This latest surprise is really good. It "sings" and the
    rendering is excellent. You always have had a talent for
    producing this outstanding kind of music.

Welcome back,

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Central Illinois

Hi John, This one put a smile on my face. A very smooth, well balanced and joyful sounding piece. Loved the lineup of instruments on this, especially the horns. Thanks for sharing, hope to hear more! John

John 'awksley, my old cyber-friend! Where have you been, old chap?

This is very nice. You have done your usual fine, creative work on this one and I certainly enjoyed it.

Don't stay away so long ever again!

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander

I listened to this one near the end of a long workday. I must say that it was bright, energetic, very pleasant to listen to, and certainly put a smile on my face.

VERY nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley View Post
    Nice music. Enjoyed much.

Gigastudio was very difficult software to handle. I once tried and gave up. GPO is so easy to play with that I am very much satisfied though I liked Gigapiano very much.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Hi gang, I'll reply to everyone individually, but thanks everyone who took a listen. I hope now that everything is working again I can write more!

@Jack - thanks very much; I don't do much but I do try to do it well! :-) I was so happy to have got a workable setup. Lots of issues have just gone away now.

@Bigears - I tend toward the soft (woodwind, strings, tenor trombone), and I think just adding something a bit harder now and again (trumpet, bass trombone) is a nice contrast between textures.

@Larry - by the beard of Larry Alexander! - thanks to you too; I hoped to to do more arranging and writing after the arr of 'Fame' but software problems got me down too much. If one half of your setup just stops working and requires a reboot it really destroys the creative flow. I started lots but I never really got far with many because of problems. Thanks for listening

@HongKongCV - thanks too, I'm glad it was refreshing - mission accomplished!

@Jun - I found the Giga software very difficult to handle too, and persevered for years purely because the quality of the patches was so excellent. But the quality of the software, they never got it under control as far as I could see, and now they've given up on it.

Problems solved (and semi-solved)
    - Applied GPO update which brought Kontakt Player 2 (I think?) - now 5 VSTs which complained about memory all the time when loading have become 2 Kontakt players which load smooth as silk.
    - Ditched giga for Kontakt and Extreme Sample Converter - worth the money. Can now tweak Kontakt voice groups so I can lower the polyphony on some patches and avoid maxing out the CPU. Kontakts CPU overload protection actually works.
    - Lots of MIDI timing issues I blamed on MIDI-Over-LAN-CP have disappeared - turned out they were Giga too.

- The pre-production recording went to DAT correctly on the second take as opposed to the 20 to 30 takes with Giga (it took that many to get a perfect recording sometimes).

Thanks again, everyone who listened,

John Hawksley
    Composition & Arrangement

Hi, John

It's definitely been far too long since you've posted music here at Gary's forum. Welcome back!

"Sunday" is a delectable track and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Wonderful to hear your confident expertise at work.

And thanks for the story about converting your old Giga instruments so you can have musical fun crash-free. Excellent news!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum