• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2 LCD monitors for a PC rig???

Share/Bookmark

2 LCD monitors for a PC rig???

Hi

Concerning PC monitors at the moment i'm in the process of creating my own PC rig specifically for music and can't help noticing that many PC musicians have 2 LCD monitors in there PC studios, why is this? what is the benefit?

Mm.
    Music.. the many characters of how God speaks to us all

Re: 2 LCD monitors for a PC rig???

In the first monitor the sequencer or staff view, in the other the mixer or VSTi interface. No need to alt+tab or minimizing windows.

screenshot of how look two monitors desktop:

Quote Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
    Hi

Concerning PC monitors at the moment i'm in the process of creating my own PC rig specifically for music and can't help noticing that many PC musicians have 2 LCD monitors in there PC studios, why is this? what is the benefit?

Mm.
    Location, location, location! Prime real estate that can be adjusted as you see fit.

My 19" monitor to my left, by my weak eye, with instruments, editing screens for properties. My 22" in front of me with Sonar (or whatever) spread out so that I can see details clearly.

My other computers have CRT monitors, large - but too large to do side by side. With LCDs this wouldn't be a problem.

Joe

I have four monitors - three 20in and one 17in at home.

At work I have three - two 20in with a 30in in the middle.

YOu can't have enough realestate. Once you get a second monitor set up, there will be no going be back

You have been warned

Saw the author Terry Pratchett on TV the other night, he has 6 monitors and he said the only reason he didn't have 8 was because his desk was not big enough

I have 5 computers so that s just as bad
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

what does Terry Pratchett need 6 for?! Ive found having 2 an provides an amazing boost in productivity. I wish I could have more, just so i can leave more AU open. At the moment i dont have a dedicated mixer screen, which would be nice, if just so that i can see my levels jumping up and down all the time!

the more screens the better.

I mostly write music and drill for marching bands, so the two screens come in very handy. Often I will have the music on one screen and the drill on the other. Sometimes I'm working with music as PDF files for reference, so not having to flip back and forth between windows is quite helpful.

Like everybody else says, it's all about real estate. At risk of making generalizations, musicians tend to work with more than one application at a time. Extra screen space means you don't have to flip between windows or resize to the point of uselessness.

Go Back to forum