• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which cc# to control "Tune"

Which cc# to control "Tune"

I am curious to know if I would be able to automate tune, if so, what is cc#

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Re: Which cc# to control "Tune"

Automation via MIDI CC can be set in Kontakt 2 by going to the Browser > Auto > Midi Automation. Then simply drag the desired CC# to the desired knob or fader.

Also CC 22 controls tuning variations (VARIATION 1). I think this is supposed to replicate the natural tuning variations that occur with normal playing.

Steve Winkler

Hi Gokul

Webbiedave explained perfectly how to automate anything in Kontakt.

But Steve Winkler's reply was especially important for what I think you're trying to do.

You're trying to get a slight variation to pitch throughout a piece so it sounds more natural, correct?

As Steve said, what you want to automate is Var 1 and 2 - CCs 22 and 23. Those can give a very natural slight variation to pitch and timbre, especially useful in fast passages when live musicians tend to wobble a bit on their notes.

Those controllers will give you much better results than trying to vary the tuning throughout a piece.

Randy B.

Thanks webbiedev, swinkler
    I will check it.

Randy, I need to automate "Tune" parameter (as it shows in Kontakt2), I guess I am right, If I need a "large" pitch variation during the play.

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Hello there again, Gokul

The instruments default to a pitch bend of 2 half steps, but in their GUIs you can change that setting to as much as a full octave down or up.

Look for Pitch Bend at the bottom of each instrument's GUI. Hover your mouse over the window that says "2" and there will be arrows to increase or decrease the amount of bend.

Of course to set the bend greater than the default will make the instrument bend its pitch more than real instrument can.

If you need a larger bend than that -!!- then one way to do it is with the Tuning knob. The other would be to apply bend to a recorded .wav file, done in a mastering program such as Sound Forge.

Randy B.

i think on the string instruments the best way to achieve a natural out of tune is effect is the hard way. divide the strings up into players and have them not only be off by a fraction on timing, velocity and modulation, but every now and then (preferably at the start of notes) have one or two of them off very slightly using the pitch bend. this works especially well on high notes. but be careful with some of the GPO strings, because their pitch bend starts sounding really unnatural with too big a bend. try bending an A to a G and holding it, then just play a plain old G - you'll hear the difference.

now the solo strad and gof libraries - that's a totally different story. their bends sounds amazing.

my $0.02.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hi, Keith

You're so right that it helps achieve more realism in virtual instrument recordings to "sloppy them up" with variations in timing and tuning. Var 1 and 2 unique to the Garritan instruments work best for the slight detuning you're talking about - much more subtle and natural sounding than using pitch bend.

But Gokul is saying that he's needing, for some reason, to have a very large pitch bend, a swooping synthetic sound - he doesn't seem to be asking about how to add slight pitch "errors."

Randy B.

You are right. I need pitch bend like 3 to 5 full steps(at times) with some specific function of time.

If I changing the default pitch bend to greater values, then Var1 will work accordingly? Am I getting right?

Gokul, I'm glad you asked the original question about automating the Tuning knob, because it's led us to understand what you want to accomplish.

Changing the Pitch Bend value is definitely what you'll want to do. A full octave is available, going either up or down- as I said earlier.

Variation 1 is something completely different. What you do with the Pitch Bend setting won't effect it. If you want the slight detuning effect available with Var 1, use it sparingly here and there in your track. But that is for a touch of natural pitch variation, not for the giant changes you've been talking about.

You need to go try it all out!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum