• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Holy ... look who's back

Holy ... look who's back

Hi everyone,

Can't believe it's been almost 3 years since I've been a regular on this forum. Gary's still sellin' libraries that just get better, a look down the page finds many of the same names as before, Dan just had another birthday, etc. Things haven't seemed to change much at all.

Just a quick update, A few years ago, the old eyes started giving out. Not that they were very good before. A few years and a few surgeries later, I'm back using a my new MacBook Pro's text-to-speech to get around this forum and do most of what I have to do computerwise.

Things haven't been all bad though.Other than the eyes I'm in good health. My son moved out and Joani and I have the place to ourselves, I'm still able to play and teach classical guitar, and Obama is our new president.

Also some may remember that Joani and I made a just for fun CD of Peter and the Wolf about 4 years ago. It received some nice comments from people in the preschool education field. So for about 6 months we pushed the heck out of it. To this date we have sold about 3,000 copies. What is really fun however, is the digital sales. It is really great to see that our little attempt to do homage to my favorite childhood piece, is bought all over the world. Oh not in great quantities, but this internet thing always amazes me. Thanks iTunes, Amazon, etc., but thanks mostly to Gary for making it all possible. When I was I little boy, I used to play like I was conducting Peter and the wolf. Making that little CD kind of brought a little dream somewhat to reality, and just knowing that somewhere their might be a little child getting her first glimpse of orchestral sounds is a real kick.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can work with Digital Performer again though and get anything done. Sometimes it can be quite frustrating, since there is just no productivity. I've given up trying to play in the parts. Things just end up in a mess. I bought Sibelius, and can blow up the screen so the notes are pretty big. I have mostly used it to work on easy guitar music for my students. I can't wait for GPOA. I hope it will be what it takes to get me motivated again to try and overcome these problems.

One of the reasons I haven't been hanging out here too much is that I really get depressed, hearing some of the great music many of you are doing. I think I've gotten past that though and should be by to chime in on things more regularly.

All be well,

Re: Holy ... look who's back

I think about you very often Karl.

Such a great thing that you are still teaching. What a rewarding experience that is huh?

Never hesitate to ask for help if you need it.
    It's wonderful to have you back, it feels more like old times

Central Illinois

Welcome back Karl! I remember seeing your posts frequently back when I first came to the forum, and also remember listening to Peter and the Wolf when you first posted it. I surely hope you can find a way to get back into computer music and have some fun with it.
    Is that guitar you are holding the one that is in JABB? I have been working on a piece using it and having a tough time getting the samples to sound a bit more realistic. I play classical guitar also, but I don't want to record myself, I'm hoping to get the job done with samples.
    Hope to see and hear more from you. John

West Seneca, NY

Hey! What a pleasant surprise Karl! I was wanderink about you just the other day but wandered too far and almost got lost.

Excellent to hear Peter and The Wolf doing so well around the woild. As far as the guitar teaching ... do you have room for another student?

California Redwoods

Well, greetings, Karl!

I have often noted your absence and have awaited your return. Welcome back!

When I started posting here, you were starting to limit your activity (gee, hope it wasn't me...). Welcome back!!

I'm sure the neighborhood will be better for it.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

Welcome home, Karl! Wonderful to see you back!

All my best,

David Sosnowski

Karl Garrett:

What a pleasant surprise and how happy I am that
    you are doing well and want to give it the "old college
    try" again.

We all have limitations and periods where nothing seems
    to go right; or, we feel we have "lost it" for some reason.
    Forget about those times. They are only bad omens on
    the wayside and need to be tossed out of the total picture.

Happy to have you back and glad your "Peter and the Wolf"
    is doing so well.

A real surprise, Karl. Makes my day hearing from you.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Orcas Island

Hi Karl,

So good to see you back among friends. You have been missed and many have been asking about you.

Glad you and Joani are doing well. That's terrific news that your Peter and the Wolf album has done well.

I hope to see more of you around these parts and don't be a stranger.

All our best,

Welcome back! I missed you!

Glad to hear things are more upbeat for you, despite the eyes. I keep on remembering how much fun we all had in Indy for summer NAMM.

Hope to hear more from you from now on. Glad you are back!

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Go Back to forum