• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Momentous news!

Momentous news!

"Another note from a piece by a US composer has been played in what has been called the world's slowest and longest concert.
    The church organ in the German town of Halberstadt played the next - seventh - chord of John Cage's As Slow As Possible work.
    The performance began in 2001 and is scheduled to last a total of 639 years."

***They caught it on video if you're interested. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7880793.stm
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Re: Momentous news!

I hope I will be there to hear the last chord. Gives me enough time to compose all the things I want to compose.... and then go into history like "Raymond lived 704 years".

Two thoughts and one observation. . .

1) I like John Cage's 4' 33" better.

2) I think the next note of the composition that the organist played was wrong. And. . . it was started too soon.

3) (the observation) Towards the end of the video there was a close-up shot of a woman who, apparently, just witnessed the playing of the "next note". Her facial expression was not filled with "inner-peace" or "patience" as the organist (who apparently played the next note) suggested this composition should bring. Her expression seemed to show annoyance. It's just an observation.

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Cage continues to pull the wool over people's eyes even beyond the grave. I think that he planned it this way.

The pity is that the music "elitists" of his time fell all over themselves in the act of adoring him.
    Larry G. Alexander

We have artistic elites like that here. Its the emperors new clothes all over again with each generation.

Maybe we get the artists we deserve
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Thanks for posting the video report, Klassical.

Conceptual art can be so liberating. There's no reference point for critiquing something like Cage's "As Slow As Possible." This installation exists by its own rules. Whatever actual music is being played isn't important. The piece is there to think and talk about. In its own way, this piece is more interesting than a mountain of derivative neo/quasi/pseduo classical works that nobody will ever talk about.

Cage's cosmic joke made me smile this morning. It works for me!

Randy B.

Is Cage dead then? shame. I was going to comment that he spends the next 639 years writing his next piece. I have to agree in part with Larry. A lot of his pieces must have been conceived on 'off' days, or when he coudnt get to a piano, so he just came up with ideas to please intellectuals.

What would you consider to be his most fantastic work? (in which you actually hear sounds from a musical instrument? - lets not get into 'what defines a musical instrument'. you know what i mean!)

Wink Re: Momentous news!

I recorded a CD of Cages 4' 33" (the piano version). Is anybody interested in purchasing?

Lightbulb Re: Momentous news!

Although the score is marked "as slow as possible", I wonder if Cage ever anticipated taking it to this length (pun semi-intended)... The BBC story mentions something about the actual tempo not being marked.

Didn't this come up here (in the forum) when the concert started?
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols View Post
    What would you consider to be his most fantastic work?
    Didn't he write "Sunrise on Fujiyama" for solo shamisen and two seppukuists, but it was never performed cause he couldn't find a shamisen artist?

Go Back to forum