• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The White Rabbit and Alice

Share/Bookmark

The White Rabbit and Alice

As some of you know, I have been working on a suite based on Lewis Carrol's Through the Looking Glass. The White Rabbit is my newest and is only 55 seconds long because he is too late to stick around and do any more.

The piece then leads into Alice, which also has not been posted. Both pieces use GPO, JABB and a few others.

Alice to me is one weird little girl.

She sees

EAT ME

so she does.

Then like....“...and you say one pill makes me taller, and another makes me small?” (Grace Slick).

Click on The White Rabbit and then afterwards Alice will play. Watch out because the entire suite will play and that is only for the brave few.

Here it is
    http://composersforum.ning.com/music...57&t=1&s=0&r=0

I am not finished with Alice, but haven't done anything to the piece in weeks, so I will present it here as is for now. The suite itself is also unfinished.

Last night I was looking for a picture to go with The White Rabbit and found out news that broke my heart.

Sometime next year, Tim Burton will release his new movie, Alice in Wonderland, with Danny Elfman's music.

No way I can compete with that duo.

But on the bright side, I get to watch another Tim Burton movie.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: The White Rabbit and Alice

Wow, the way Alice opens is breathtaking! Your material is well crafted and expertly handled with dramatic flares of brass and swimming dark melodies by the winds and strings. Both are quite good Ron, truly! You have positively captured the spirit of the story.

In my 20's I too was a Danny Elfman fan. I can relate to your statement. In my early years of composing I would not listen to him or really anything else b/c it made my music sound so "crappy". Eventually I can to the understanding that if I really wanted to make my music sound like his so I could then say "hey, listen, I am as good as he is!"... who would I be? What new would I have to offer?

There is only one great composer named Ron Ferguson! No need to compete with artistic takes on a classic. It's all relative. You are something very original, trust me.

Very impressive!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi Ron, I listened to The White Rabbit and then Alice, and they both worked well for me. The player has just started the Bandersnatch piece. It all seems to flow right together seamlessly.
    I have to agree with Michael, that your writing is unique and original and very good. Thanks for the link to so many of your pieces, I will use this opportunity to hear some that I have missed. John

Fabulous Ron!

I listened to the whole suite and it held my interest throughout. I don't think Danny Elfman has anything on you

You've got a unique voice, interesting development and a good sense of balance and orchestration. Overall well crafted music in my opinion. I'm looking forward to hearing the finished "Alice".

On a side note this is the second post that draws inspiration from a fairy tale (if Alice is considered a fairy tale). I might have to join the trend as they do spawn much imagination.

Thanks for posting this Ron.

Steve Winkler

Michael

We all know that there is always someone who is smarter, better looking and even more talented than ourselves, but I hate it.

I know that Beethoven was a thousand times more talented than I am, but at least he's dead. So at least I am a better breather than he is now.

BTW I don't want to be as good as Danny Elfman. I want to be a thousand times better!

Gotta reach for the stars.

Thanks

John

You were the one that suggested I try to use one of the new social sites as a web page. Well I finally got it to work.

I did throw in a few older ones onto the site. The production values are missing on some of them, but I do like the music.
    Thanks

Steve

I am halfway thru rereading the book. I know I want to do a piece on the 2 Queens and of course the Mad Hatter so it is keeping me busy.

Fairy Tales/myths and legends and the such can all bring about good inspiration.

I am so very happy that the music kept your interest all the way thru.

Thanks guys

Ron

We all know that there is always someone who is smarter, better looking and even more talented than ourselves, but I hate it.
    Well all know that we are always smarter, better looking and more talented than someone else.

I know that Beethoven was a thousand times more talented than I am, but at least he's dead. So at least I am a better breather than he is now.
    Beethoven could never have conceived or imagined your music; or much beyond repeating parallel thirds.

BTW I don't want to be as good as Danny Elfman. I want to be a thousand times better!
    No, I wanted to be like him. And what "is" better than Elfman? Unlike sports it is hard to measure and grade the Arts.

Gotta reach for the stars.
    Always!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I think you're doing superb work here Ron.

Maybe Danny Elfman knows what sells but your music is every bit just as good if not more interesting.

This has been quite an undertaking and one I'm sure you'll always be proud of.

Phil

Ron:

Really great piece even though it is only :57 sec long.

As I listened, I detected strains of the pentatonic scale.
    Was that a basis for the piece or did the melodic content
    just work out that way?

A great undertaking, Ron. I think you will love this when
    you finish the whole story.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Michael

Those are all valid points.

But we all still do grade art. It is an opinion, but still a grade.

IMHO Rembrandts worst painting is a thousand times better than Mapplethorpe's best photograph. But that's just an opinion.

Phil

More valid points. Music has to sound a certain way to be commercially viable and I am not sure I am ready to go that route.

Jack

The first piece was only 57 seconds, but I hope you stayed around for Alice as well.

I did not plan this to use Pentatonic scales, but I have been using it a lot lately, so that does make sense. So it just worked out that way.

Thanks guys

Ron

HI Ron,

It has been a while since I listened to any of your work and I was impressed with both the "Rabbit" and "Alice" pieces. Engaging, witty and innovative.

Well done!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast