• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Fairy Tale in the beginning

Share/Bookmark

Fairy Tale in the beginning

Hi again to all!

I've arrived with a new piece. Yes, incomplete, but I've come to that stage where I compose onwards only to back track the following day and delete it all over again. So I thought it best to show it to you fine people, get some feedback and soldier on.

Here's the link: http://www.box.net/shared/yy6mtfv06q

I particularly would like to know what you all think of the clarity. I think it sounds fine, but if you can recommend any adjustments, do share!

This is the first time with experimenting with GPO's Ethnic Percussion. I think it gives a good woody effect, which is precisely what I want! Would you agree?

When you see the title of the piece (watch my attempts to build suspense), I shall have it known that the goal is to compose 3 pieces, with this being the overture to it all. Basically, an introduction of themes, with me mucking around with them and being all clever and arty. (Or trying. I think I do pretty well...!) Also, I suppose, as my old folks put it, a way of grabbing the listeners attention and trying to convince them that the next two 'movements' will be worth listening to, as well!

I hope you enjoy listening, and again, sorry it isn't complete.

Cheers,

Chris!
    Music is life, and, like life, inextinguishable.

Re: Fairy Tale in the beginning

Hi Chris, I just listened a couple of times. If you are meaning the clarity of the rendering, I think it sounds good. To me it seemed well spaced and each element came through. The percussion in the opening does sound realistic and as you say "woody", or organic. I also liked the horns near the end, with some interesting harmonies. This all seemed to have the effect of building up to something yet to come. Nice work! John

I enjoyed this very much Chris. I thought the rendering was very good and clear. Musically it builds as you set out to do.

Looking forward to the rest of the suite.

Steve Winkler

Nice work! It's very good, and I like it a lot. The clarity sounds just right to me -- you've gotten a very realistic sound (good work with the reverb). The only comment I can offer is to adjust the panning or volume of your strings a little -- they sound either too loud or too far to one side for my taste and it unbalances the mix a tiny bit.

Chris

I do love fairy tales. Of course my favorite character in this one is the Wolf. I hate the woodsman for killing him.

The percussion adds a neat dimension to the piece and does give it that woody feel.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks guys! So a thumbs up on the woody feel. I'm happy!

Bigears:
    This all seemed to have the effect of building up to something yet to come. Nice work! John
    And I hope to tell you confidently that it WILL build up to something good.

Swinkler:
    I enjoyed this very much Chris. I thought the rendering was very good and clear. Musically it builds as you set out to do.
    Looking forward to the rest of the suite.
    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it! Fun to write, I must say. And I hope not to disappoint with the following suites!

Venzon:
    Nice work! It's very good, and I like it a lot. The clarity sounds just right to me -- you've gotten a very realistic sound (good work with the reverb). The only comment I can offer is to adjust the panning or volume of your strings a little -- they sound either too loud or too far to one side for my taste and it unbalances the mix a tiny bit.
    Thank you for the compliment! I will alter the strings then, and see what I can do. I think I need to pan all the instruments in just a little bit, seeing as it's been brough to my attention. Particularly with the strings, actually. Violin 1 is ALMOST all the way to the furthest left, with Violin 2 close behind. Thanks for letting me know!

Rolifer
    Chris
    I do love fairy tales. Of course my favorite character in this one is the Wolf. I hate the woodsman for killing him.
    The percussion adds a neat dimension to the piece and does give it that woody feel.
    Well done
    Ron
    Yes, I can see you love them, with your Alice in Wonderland take. I think they're perhaps my point of inspiration, and they should work well.
    As for the wolf, he will be fun to write for. The few bars before the end I start to depict him, so thought I'd have some fun there, which I did!
    Thanks for the feedback!

It sounds very clear to me and builds nicely.

It should work well when you get it finished. I also liked the woody sound.

Phil

You're use of unusual drums really gives it an interesting feeling. It's drums I wouldn't really expect to hear, but not in a way that it's intrusive or overindulgent. I love the 6/8 bounce, one of my most favorite styles. I also love a good flute. As a tuba player, I can say you do quite well with creating a good bass line. It is annoyingly repetitive in sense of performance for the player, but even so, it does compositionally what it needs to, which is ultimately help to bring out the embellishments and create a more fluid melody. I would like to hear a slightly more complex bass part in certain areas. For example around, 1:50- up through the end of the horn solo, I would like embelishments at appropriate points of the solo, instead of just straight G's.

This is what I would do,
    ^-_-_--^-_-_---^
    G-_-Bb-A-_-D/F-G
    Here's a sample.
    http://www.box.net/shared/qa4f51i4v8

The carets are the downbeats. I feel like the Bflat to A would help to encourage the minor key, and the D or F below the G coming back up is a nice open 5th relationship that I see alot in tuba music.
    Also, another thing that is kinda fun is a descending scale in arco, (instead of constant pizzicato) from the 5th D down to G, but including a minor 2nd on the way down so that in 6/8 you have 6 notes. However, you start the scale on the 2nd 8th note of the measure so you land on 1. Something like this would often be doubled in the bass trombone an octave up, or doubled in bassoon depending on the color you want of course.

I can't really offer much more than that as I don't want to spoil you're creativity. It is what you do and leave it as such if you choose, I just wanted to give a few suggestions.

I hope you understand I wasn't being critical on your bass line, Im just trying to help you out. I think a lot of time one of the biggest misconceptions about music is that a bass line must be static, because I hear it a lot and read it a lot, even in professional settings, but the reality of it is a really good bass line should mimic or respond to a melody as if it is conversing with it.

Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Fastlane:
    It sounds very clear to me and builds nicely.
    It should work well when you get it finished. I also liked the woody sound.
    Thanks for listening . Can't wait until I get it all done. Should be a fun adventure.

Tubajedimr, thanks for the feedback! I will reconsider my bass lines, then!

And to be honest, the piece is almost entirely in 4/4 (there's four bars of 3/4 near the end), I just use triplets to get the movement going.

And to avoid any upset tuba player,, I only start to use the tuba at 1.15. For the repetitive thud throughout, I use GPO's (or perhaps is JABB's? Anyways, it came with Finale '08) String Bass along with the cello. The tuba does do some of the thud throughout the piece, but very little (8 bars or so, at the most).

At any rate, I will see about making the thud more interesting towards the build.

Thanks again for the various bits of advice.

Chris!

Hi, Chris

I really like your "Red Riding Hood"--! Rich and interesting music which sounds very nicely recorded. Impressive!---I'm looking forward to hearing more of this fairy tale series.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast