• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old age or do I need a vacation?

Share/Bookmark

Old age or do I need a vacation?

Trying to record CC#1 with the modulation wheel of my keyboard I wondered why I didn't hear any change. Looked everywhere, even restarted the computer, re-loaded Sonar, and still no sound change.......guess what?

http://teensreadandblogtoo.files.wor...re-posters.jpg

I forgot to switch on the keyboard

Raymond - I think I need a vacation

Re: Old age or do I need a vacation?

LOL! I think we all have those moments.

Back when I worked at Lotus Development we would play tricks on each other. Programmers get so annoyed when their `box' is misbehaving, so I decided to mess with exactly that.

One of my co-workers sat down to begin the work day and noticed that his mouse was not working. Now you have to understand, this guy was *brilliant*. I was not worthy to shine his shoes. He could come up with the most complex algorithms by closing his eyes for a few seconds to think and then he would type in the code, optimizing it as he went along. Mind-boggling.

Anyways, his mouse was not working. He started checking his Windows settings, hardware interrupts, etc. This went on for the better part of 2 hours. I finally could not hold back my laughter so I helped him out. By plugging his mouse back into the PS2 port.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Reminded me of a "tech" file I got from our Dutch friends awhile ago, when many of us were first learning about computers:

http://www.box.net/shared/le7s3896dk

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Trying to record CC#1 with the modulation wheel of my keyboard I wondered why I didn't hear any change. Looked everywhere, even restarted the computer, re-loaded Sonar, and still no sound change.......guess what?

http://teensreadandblogtoo.files.wor...re-posters.jpg

I forgot to switch on the keyboard

Raymond - I think I need a vacation
    Well, Raymond, when I was repairing electronic equipment at communications stations, the first thing I always did was check switches and power connections -- cured many problems that way.

Take a vacation while you can. I can't take a vacation, probably because I am on permanent vacation!

Richard

Dang! I've been plugging the computer into the mouse all these years. Now I know why things haven't been working as they should.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I did something similar not too long ago. I was setting up my portable recording gear to record last year's pagaent winner's farewell address, and wasn't getting any sound out of it. I puttered around, checking connections and software settings, before I finally figured it out.

It certainly does help if you push that little button to send phantom power to the mic...

So you're not alone.

One question: Did you bruise your forehead when you smacked it after finding out what had happened? I did...

I had a tech doing operating system refreshes for a training room a couple years ago. He couldn't get one of the machines working and said it must be a bad BIOS after playing with the computer for 8 hours. Another tech came and looked at the computer and found that the keyboard was unplugged. Worked fine after she plugged in the keyboard!

This same tech holds the record for the longest refresh of a training at 15 hours. A normal refresh takes me about 2 hours and that's with twice the amount of computers he had.

BTW, this tech is no longer with us. He kept blaming the other tech that found the unplugged keyboard for all his problems. He was messing up pretty much every ticket he was assigned.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongCV View Post
    One question: Did you bruise your forehead when you smacked it after finding out what had happened? I did...

No, I went out for a long walk. Besides that I already have a very flat forehead, because of ..........

Raymond

Go Back to forum