• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fugue Opus 1

Share/Bookmark

Fugue Opus 1

I am no Bach, but I wanted to learn the art of fugue a little better. I decided to write a little fugue in A minor to get a feel for the form. Here is my attempt at writing a fugue:

Fugue Opus 1

This is only done straight out of Finale 2009 using the Garritan Sounds in the ARIA engine. I will eventually tweak this in Sonar or Tracktion. This is up a little early but I wanted to show Nikolas that a piece can sound good rendered directly from Finale 2009.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Fugue Opus 1

It sounded real good to me. I wouldn't know what to do myself but you seem to know what you are doing.

It all worked well together an created a fine sounding and interesting piece.

Phil

Rich,

Nice fugue - really liked the episode around 1:20 mark. There is some nice contrapuntal work here, and in its string orchestra setting reminded me a little of Alan Hovaness (that's a good thing).

You say you are studying the art of fugue - are you doing this in a systematic way? On your own? Just curious...

Enjoyable post!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi Rich, Enjoyed your fugue! It does sound pretty darn good right out of Finale too. Thanks! John

Rich just proved once again that the Handel to the Bach door is Baroque!

Nice little fugue Herr Rich, das was sehr gut!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Phil,
    Thanks for the comments. I am glad you took time to listen.

rpearl,

You say you are studying the art of fugue - are you doing this in a systematic way? On your own? Just curious...
    This is a self teach form of study. My wife has the collection of Bach's "The Art of the Fugue" and I have music history books and orchestration books. I am trying to imitate and learn the different forms and types of music to better equip myself in my own writing. Wikipedia also had a marvelous little dissertation on the fugue and a nice little structure laid out so I used that as a reference map with what I have studied in works of Bach and my own reference library.

Nice question to ask!

John,
    Thanks for the listen. I am working it up in Sonar and will replace the Finale version when it is done. Working over the midi files is much more tedious than the creative end of writing it in Finale.

Bill,
    the Handel to the Bach door is Baroque!
    You know what they say: If it ain't Barogue don't fix it!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    . . . Working over the midi files is much more tedious than the creative end of writing it in Finale.
    Well, interesting point, quite the opposite of my own experience! I always work first with pencil & paper for a very rough draft or sketch, then do the bulk of the work in Sonar. The last step is creating a good score with Sibelius, which is sometimes very smooth and easy, sometimes a mess. In any case, it does require plenty of time.

Later today, I hope, after a lengthy upload, I will try to download your fugue. I surely can not listen to it by streaming!

Richard

Rich,

finally I've got some time to listen. You did a good job with this. It is hard to write a fugue, I know. You are more than half way and it certainly is a good start.

For a flash animation of the structure of the first fugue in Bach's Art of Fugue may I point you to this link:

http://www.ecouteactive.fr/bachjs/artFugue1.html

It is only playing now the first three voices, but I am sure the fourth voice will come soon.

Raymond

Richard,

Thanks for the comments. I write with both pencil/paper and Finale first for the ideas and basic structure. I then expand the ideas using either or both methods and put in all the dynamics and expressions that I want or need completing a score ready for printing. It is at that point that I export it as a midi file and import it into Sonar. In Sonar, I work on each individual line for each part as if I were performing the part. I pay attention to the detail of phrasing and/or breathing within a phrase. I also pay attention to the sound of the long notes noting that a performer will have a note or phrase growing or waning depending on its importance within the structure of its part. These are not always written in the scores but implied through performance abilities. This is what takes so much time for me.

It was nice to get your viewpoint of how you structure your scoring. Thankyou!

Rich

Raymond,

Thanks so much for the great illustration of the Bach Fugue. What a wonderful teaching aid that is! Your analysis and diagrams were very helpful. It especially showed me (once again) how much more genious there is in Bach than us mere mortals (especially this mortal ) could ever obtain. I will once again, and in a much better light, re-analyze my work and see if I can get it a little closer to the standard of what "The Art of the Fugue" presented to the world.

Thanks again for listening and commenting on my piece. It is much appreciated.

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast