• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help with a backup strategy

Need help with a backup strategy

Hi guys & gals,

I don't back up nearly as often as I'd like or should and it's high time I got a plan together. I am planning to get an external drive (or a regular drive to put in an enclosure). This normally wouldn't be an issue but I have files on both a Mac and a PC that would need to be backed up. I am aware that Windows XP and Mac use different file formats to store data, so I need something that would be compatible with both that would be the most cost effective.

Any suggestions?

Central Illinois

Re: Need help with a backup strategy

Hi Rob, I think most external drives come formatted with the FAT32 system, which both Mac and Windows can access. I think the tricky part is going to be whether you want to physically connect both the computers to the drive, or use some sort of file sharing over a network. Your OS for both computers will also have some impact on how you set things up. I would google something like "how do I share an external drive with a Mac and a PC?" to start getting some info. DpDan uses both Mac and PC, maybe he could help you with this. Good luck, John

Chandler, Arizona

I use a USB external device that you just plug a standard SATA drive into the top of it. The device costs $29 with rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153066

I have multiple drives that I plug into for backing up a few computers I have. I'd recommend getting a separate backup drive for each computer so you can use NTFS for the Windows computer. Drives are pretty cheap these days!

Jim, Thanks so much for the heads up on the docking station. Didn't know they were so cheap. I use SuperDuper as backup software on my Mac. It's so easy to make scheduled backups. I also keep copies of my most important files away from our home at a good friends. This way if there's a fire or some other disaster, I'll still have some kind of life.

Go Back to forum