• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Action demo piece and more....

Share/Bookmark

Action-drama demo piece and more....(new mix)

http://www.guybacos.com/audio/VSL%20Demo.mp3

This piece has now been re-mixed and re-mastered by Dan Kury.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Guy

http://www.guybacos.com/

Re: Action demo piece and more....

Hi Guy,

this is fantastic writing and very well realized. I am listening for the third time now and enjoying.

Best
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thank you Hannes, and for you're more elaborated comments via private mail.

I put up a new mix, I think it was missing that something.

Excellent work as always, Mr. Bacos! I especially liked the string writing starting at 3:15.

--Jay

I'm not sure what to comment about, since I don't know why this demo was written. Is it to showcase VSL or a particular library? Do you want technical comments about the midi mock-up, or do you want creative comments about the writing?

Thanks,

Mr. A.
    Nuendo 3/ Cubase 4.5 on XP sp2 QuadCore 2.66 Ghz VisionDaw Built DAW RME HDSP 96/52 into ProTools HD3 (digi192x6) on MacPro 3 Ghz... Farm PCs x (6) VisionDaw Machines PC Dual 2.66 Ghz w- Kontakt 3.5 w/ UAD Cards Midi Over Lan

To me, the strings are too dry and in my face, the fast string sections seem to be the wrong articulation.
    Also, much of the violin section sounds like mono samples... just panned. hmmm? If you are using Altiverb, all the strings need to be moved back, somewhat.

The strings are really in need of high end (air) 10-20 khz.
    Much of this recording and it's instruments could pass for a real recording, except the strings which give it away immediately. When the violins reach their higher register, the EQ of them hurt, but if they were placed further back in Altiverb, that would fix the "hurt" element.

The strings section around 3:25 play really nice.
    Lots of work though,
    cool piece of music Guy!
    Dan

It's VSL only, no specific goal with this demo. Any comment is welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    To me, the strings are too dry and in my face, the fast string sections seem to be the wrong articulation.
    Also, much of the violin section sounds like mono samples... just panned. hmmm? If you are using Altiverb, all the strings need to be moved back, somewhat.

The whole track is really in need of high end (air) 10-20 khz.
    Much of this recording and it's instruments could pass for a real recording, except the strings which give it away immediately. when the violins reach their higher register, the EQ of them hurt, but if they were placed rearward in Altiverb some more that would fix that "hurt" element.

The strings section around 3:25 play really nice.
    Lots of work though,
    cool piece of music Guy!
    Dan
    Hi Dan,

Couldn't help responding right now

First thanks for your comments. This is why I wanted feedback, so I could improve any aspects of the piece.

I have to agree that the strings tend to sound mono, that's because I panned them in their seating placement but somehow it had that mono effect as well.

I purposely made the strings dryer to make them more upfront then the other sections, but I obviously overdid it.

The fast strings, I can't do anything about that, for what I wanted to do, without going into to much details, "spiccato" was the only option. When you say it's the strings that give it away, could it be because of the dry effect? Seems the fast spiccato sounds not too bad, no?

Anybody else, don't be afraid to give your comments, good OR bad, I can take it, and I hope to make a better mix as the thread evolves. Thanks!

Only VSL, really ?

Guy, I’ve just quoted you as one of the best for demos in another thread (MIR it’s arrived).

However I agree with Dan about stings. Maybe too dry in general... although winds sections sounds not bad.

But...

Is it a trumpet at 4’34 ? You tell us to don’t be afraid, then... let’s say it (amicably of course), (especially amicably from someone who doesn’t have the half of your talent) : it sounds like a mood-wheel on a DX7...

(I said it !)

(Ouch ! Don’t hurt !)
    Gabriel Plalame.

(The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast