• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Flute Quartet in A minor (Presto)

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Flute Quartet in A minor (Presto)

Greetings Earthlings!

Okay, so my friends and I at the middle school orchestra formed a Flute Quartet! Not 4 flutes, Flute (in the place of a first violin), Violin, Viola and Cello. I'm the Cello. Whoot!

I'm excited about it. My friends are great players (well, relatively speaking. Lol. We're in middle school.) and they're up for anything! We needed material, so I decided to write our own quartet!!! It's thrilling to know my piece is to be played by an ACTUAL ensemble.

Just wanted to post and see what you guys thought. I have the mock-up and the score. I DO include some Bartok/Snap Pizzicato and Col Legno; unfortunately GPO doesn't include those sounds. I replaced them both with the regular pizzicato samples, with the snap accented. You can see where they should be in the score.

Written in Sibelius. All sounds GPO.

Hope you enjoy it!

Flute Quartet in A minor MP3

Flute Quartet in A minor PDF
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: Flute Quartet in A minor (Presto)

Hi Daniel (not Dan), I enjoyed hearing your quartet. It gets with it right from the start and keeps things interesting. I thought that the changes came a little too quickly in the beginning, but from the middle to the end it seemed like you developed the ideas more.
    It must be gratifying to hear your work performed. You have written some good stuff with this piece! Thanks for sharing this, John

Daniel

You're gonna break some strings with pizz like that!

I do hope you guys perform this and get a decent recording you can share with us.

This seems like a stretch for Middle schoolers, but if you guys can handle it, that's great.

Nice piece

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

It was enjoyable and I also thought it was stronger from about the middle to the end.

I liked the flute with the strings. It sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with your quartet.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Daniel (not Dan), I enjoyed hearing your quartet. It gets with it right from the start and keeps things interesting. I thought that the changes came a little too quickly in the beginning, but from the middle to the end it seemed like you developed the ideas more.
    It must be gratifying to hear your work performed. You have written some good stuff with this piece! Thanks for sharing this, John
    Hey John!

Thanks for your kind words. It's true I rushed the beginning a bit; my first chamber piece in a while so it was hard to keep things fresh with little instrumentation to work with, rather than just a theme repeat and varying the orchestration. AS I went along, I suppose I got used to the small quartet format.

Yes, it is VERY gratifying. I gave the sheet music to my friends today and they tried it out during their classes (we're in different periods) -- the flutist says it's not too difficult for her, the violinist not straining too hard and the violist says she grasps it except for the col legno. With some practice it'll sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Daniel

You're gonna break some strings with pizz like that!

I do hope you guys perform this and get a decent recording you can share with us.

This seems like a stretch for Middle schoolers, but if you guys can handle it, that's great.

Nice piece

Ron
    Hi Ron,

Lol, yeah, the pizz is pretty... whew. When I gave the violist her sheet music, she sarcastically said, "Oh, rapid pizzicato. Thanks a lot." That plus the Bartok pizz... oi. Practicing in my own time at real speed, I haven't broken anything... yet.

It really is a stretch for our experience level, but we formed the quartet out of a sort of... passion for music. Or as the rest of 'em at school would say, we're the orch dorks. Since we're really into music, we're pretty much the best players in the music department. So though it will take some practice, I bet it'll turn out great. (And I already got my part down. Buahaha!)

If we get this down, I do plan to record this, and I'll make sure to share it with all of you.

Thanks for your kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    It was enjoyable and I also thought it was stronger from about the middle to the end.

I liked the flute with the strings. It sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with your quartet.

Phil
    Hey Phil!

I actually agree with you, it is stronger from the middle to end. Like I said, the chamber instrumentation got more comfortable as I went.

At school, we were originally going to form a regular quartet with just strings, but we couldn't find a second violinist. BUT, a close friend of their's was the first chair flutist! So, it just went from there. I really like the sound!!

This piece is a challenge, and really fast, therefore making it LOADS of fun.

Thanks for your comment!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Wow, Daniel! - This is great! And thanks for telling us about the Quartet - You Will record you and your friends for us to hear I hope?

Very impressed - Too short! I want mooooore.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Wow, Daniel! - This is great! And thanks for telling us about the Quartet - You Will record you and your friends for us to hear I hope?

Very impressed - Too short! I want mooooore.

Randy B.
    Hey Randy!

Thanks for your nice comments! We're gonna try our best to get it up to recording quality, and go ahead and record it in my dad's recording studio.

Too short? Hmmm... Maybe more movements!! I could do that. This can be like, the third movement.

No promises. I'm a very lazy person.

This is really very impressive!
    Hope the recording goes well!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Daniel, all I can say is, "Wow." This is very impressive - how old are you again? I can't wait to hear your quartet play it.

I really like the sound of the quartet with the flute playing the 1st violin line. The blend works really well.

I found that from measures 75-82 the flute was completely covered by the strings in the rendering, so that is something that you will need to remember when balancing the live instruments.

I would love to hear this as part of a larger, multi-movement work. Keep up the fantastic efforts!

This is really "cute". I enjoyed your quartet very much. I'm afraid though that your flautist is going to struggle to be heard sometimes.... anything in the first register of the flute will not carry above even just three strings playing forte. Just transposing those low passages up an octave will solve your problem.

Good luck with your performance.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast