• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: new demo's of PMI's GRANDIOSO Steinway

Share/Bookmark

new demo\'s of PMI\'s GRANDIOSO Steinway

We justed posted some new material on the new website. Visit www.postmusicalinstruments.com and follow the link (to demo) under the piano icon. There is info on the cd library on the site also.

Alternatively click here: http://www.postmusicalinstruments.com/demo/grandioso.MP3 http://www.postmusicalinstruments.com/demo/liebestod.MP3 http://www.postmusicalinstruments.com/demo/borodin.MP3 http://www.postmusicalinstruments.com/demo/purgatory.MP3

Michiel Post

Re: new demo\'s of PMI\'s GRANDIOSO Steinway

I\'ve just visited the site and the product appears to have been extremely well thought through.

One question about the demos - is it my naff old laptop sound card, or is there a fair amount of variable hiss during the \'liebestod\' demo? And why 128k encoding? When you\'re auditioning sound quality, surely it makes sense to go for at least 192 or 256?

Has any price been set yet?

Steve

Hi Steve,
    I forgot to mention this demo is made with the beta version which still has an occasional noisy sample. This will be fixed in the final release! Don\'t worry. The guy doing the de-noising with SonicSolutions No-Noise is having a very busy time and my job is next in line.
    The decoding was an unlucky coincidence. The other demo\'s did get a higher encoding rate simply because of the availability of different programs at the time of working. I\'ll see if I can get them re-done (don\'t expect this to happen too soon though). We\'re actually working on a demo-cd with really amazing pieces of music with different players. One of the pieces is Steve Reich Music for two piano\'s. One of these pieces a concert pianist can only practice with another pianist or a decent sampled piano running a sequence. The latter will be done with the two main piano\'s from my new library.
    Anyway, hope you have enjoyed the music despite the noise.

Michiel,

thank you for setting the record straight on that one. I must say, your demos are refreshingly lengthy and well played.

You may not wish to comment on this one, but any advice would be appreciated:

I intend to buy your new GigaSample for use live in a (light/acoustic) modern jazz trio context. My question: What amplification would you recommend pairing up with your GigaSample? A high powered hifi amp and speaker combination (e.g. Nad & Jamo), nearfield studio monitors (HHB Circle), small band PA system or keyboard combo amps.

I would really appreciate your input on this one as I believe that poor amplification hides all the hard work developers like you put into their piano GigaSamples.

All the best,
    Stephen.

Well, these demos sound very promising. I particularly like the Chopin. The piano has something closer to the lively, even dirty and real sound of the Steinway. A little more of the \"impact\" sound of the hammers, which sound is absent from the main contender (Truan\'s Steinway B). Of course, the Truan product has a beautiful tone (once filtered particularly at the high end), but is too clean, and the velocity levels do not meld at all, which I suppose is the biggest issue with that venerable sample. I\'m A/Bing the mp3 through my sblive sound card with an extremely well-recorded Bach WTC piano album. The latter sounds much clearer and more transparent, but obviously because it is NOT a) being heard via sblive and b) is not an mp3 file. However, notwithstanding the unequal playing field, the pianos sound equally \"real\" to me.

Of course, I\'m ordering this sample when it becomes available. And I will use it extensively at my mp3.com Well-tempered Clavier site. One can never be sure whether a sample is useful until it is applied to one\'s particular purpose. Having said that, I\'m very hopeful that this sample will be an advance on the best now available. Certainly the demos outperform everything else out there in the senses mentioned above.

J.G.

Thanx John! I see that as a huge compliment!

I\'m still adding new features to the library, some of which will be amazing. We\'ve solved the sostenuto pedal as I posted sometime ago. We\'re looking at a solution for the true sustain pedal behavior. I can\'t say much more right now but the specs will become quite special!

Michiel,
    what program of the Grandioso Piano did you use for the demos?

ciao

I\'m trying at this moment to get info from the Post URL. Unfortunately, the way it loads I can\'t scroll down to get all the info on the Steinway sample. May I just ask whether all the notes are sampled? And is it available separately, or will the program be part of a larger (more expensive) package?

J.G.

The demos sound terrific. I\'m still looking for a piano. I want it for \'live\' playing, and I\'m not going to purchase a whole assortment of pianos (boy, are we spoiled for sampled pianos).

Now to the \'dirty\' part: Bardstown has just announced $199 for their new Bosey, so I won\'t even be listening to the demo (if I fell in love with it, it would hurt too much); so, how much is your new offering?

I can get the wonderful (at least it sounds wonderful to me) Malmsjo for $100. I\'m not so sure that I want such a \'bold\' sample as yours (it really sounds great but the sweet sound of the Malmsjo beckons) but if I can find out that it\'s out of my budget, at least it takes me closer to a decision.

Please make it easy for me; charge $200; if you charge $100, I\'ll spend the next month listening to demos instead of playing a piano (on my trusty Ztar).

Nice touch with all the options though; I\'m sure it will sell like hot cakes. Well done.

By the way, your website is is a tad \'jumpy\'. Any chance of just getting it to navigate normally? - every time I click, I get plumped into a non-navigable page.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sjduck:
    Michiel,
    You may not wish to comment on this one, but any advice would be appreciated:
    I intend to buy your new GigaSample for use live in a (light/acoustic) modern jazz trio context. My question: What amplification would you recommend pairing up with your GigaSample? Stephen.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Stephen,
    I used to have active monitors, probably the most popular biamplified nearfield in use, the Genelec 1031A List price Approx $4200/pr Web site http://www.genelec.com
    Nowdays I\'m using Dynaudio AIR systems in surround setup. http://www.dynaudioacoustics.dk/

Go Back to forum