• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Who Made Your PC?

Share/Bookmark

Who Made Your PC?

Here's a unsettling expose on the labor conditions at one assembly plant in China that produces keyboards for companies such as Microsoft, Dell and HP.

http://www.nlcnet.org/article.php?id=613#intro

Re: Who Made Your PC?

Yes, thanks to the greedy machinations of the fat cats controlling a certain Elephantine political party, the working conditions for most ALL industries are horrible in the foreign countries where goods are cheaply made and sold to us at incredibly inflated prices.

The affluent cynic's version of capitalism. Ain't it grand?

Randy B.

Red face Re: Who Made Your PC?

I just saw a picture of my computer keyboard in that article.

I feel like it's staring at me now...

NDEE

Exclamation Re: Who Made Your PC?

In response to opinions volunteered above:

Yeah. Those Dummycraps, I mean "The Donkey-tine Party" are indeed greedy...they want my money so they can give it away.
    No product involved.

There are only 2 types of Dems: Welfare recipients and "the educated ones".
    (Union members are just glorified welfare recipients.)

The first wants my money because they're lazy.
    The second is so educated, they have figured out why it is right to take my money and give it to group number one (in exchange for votes).

Did you hear about the Union Member that got fired?
    Yeah, they caught him working.

How do you know when there's a Democrat in the house?
    Easy, they deride people openly, claiming freedom of speech, then they take offence when you voice your opinion.

I do hope my "freedom of speech" doesn't offend anyone.

If this thread were about music. I would be there, too.
    But, it has been made about politics.
    Let's get back to the music.
    </RANT>
    It's a Viking thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yes, thanks to the greedy machinations of the fat cats controlling a certain Elephantine political party, the working conditions for most ALL industries are horrible in the foreign countries where goods are cheaply made and sold to us at incredibly inflated prices.

The affluent cynic's version of capitalism. Ain't it grand?

Randy B.
    Sorry, but the Democrats are just as guilty as any Elephant associated party members. They are all selfish greedy bastards. Why do we build in China? Take a moment and look at what kind of margin that hardware peddlers make you would understand that it is the unreasonable unions that cause labor to be too expensive too make anything but off shore labor practical.

That being said, the conditions these workers live in are horrible. However, that is not the fault of any political party member, it is the fault of the country where workers are allowed to work in such conditions.

Lets not be too hasty to blame Republicans for every wrong thing there is. There is plenty of guilt associated with the Democrats. They are no different, they just claim a different color and a different animal and have a different way to get their selfish agendas fulfilled.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I'm glad I'm still here at my friend's computer (I mysteriously lost my internet connection on my laptop---have no idea when it'll be remedied!) --because otherwise I would have missed out on the new OT posts on this thread.

Joining in with good humor, and keeping the thread glaringly OT, I just wanted to thank you guys, Kevin and "Holder" for a good, but probably a bit weary, chuckle tonight.

We all understand why it's a good Forum rule to keep politics out of our posts. If we didn't understand before, this thread's detour is a good example of why the rule was created. I'm just as guilty of breaking that rule, having too much fun joining in when someone has broached the verboten Politics topic.

Hoping to not be considered coy, I haven't been around Republicans very much, and I'm rather sure I'm still awkward in interacting with them. It's difficult for me to put myself in the shoes of anyone who seems to have such an almost other-dimensional experience of life, but I really do try. Sorry if that sounds too much like the thoughts of an alien contemplating interaction with strange, unfamiliar foreigners.

People of every party, persuasion, religious affiliation etc is capable of being passionate about declaring their point of view. And the amount of frustration and anger involved in the expression of that point of view is directly proportionate to how insecure the speaker is about his stated beliefs. The less secure, the more affrontage and outrage become the tone of the discussion/argument.

I at least can hear your points of view, Kevin and Holder, and anyone else here who may agree with them. I know you're sincere, and it's a gift when people grant us permission to hear their heart felt thoughts.

I can feel and see the miraculous change that is slowly creeping over the country. It moves slowly because it's confronted with opposition as it moves forward with its open, welcoming arms. But granted enough time and patience, that change can succeed.

Thank you very much, you guys.

---NOw, to hopefully solve my internet connection problem back at home!

Randy B.

My last PC was built for my DAW by Sonica. Expensive, but worth it.

I did. And now I've gone Mac.

Seriously, though, nothing was really wrong with the PC. I just wanted to not waste a couple days configuring XP when it came time to build again and became convinced that Vista would never be pro audio ready. Hard to say anything about Windows 7 yet.

On a related note, Logic is incredible. I had no idea. Just the number of bundled products (the sampler, powerful synths, etc.) makes it worth way more than $499.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

People of every party, persuasion, religious affiliation etc is capable of being passionate about declaring their point of view. And the amount of frustration and anger involved in the expression of that point of view is directly proportionate to how insecure the speaker is about his stated beliefs. The less secure, the more affrontage and outrage become the tone of the discussion/argument.

Randy B.
    I get where you are coming from Randy. Party lines, IMHO are a ridiculous method for one group of people to pretty much hate another. Very sad. That's why I've been a Libertarian for over 20 years. It is the only way I can stay politically active without having to side with the two extremes.

Of course no one has the exact answer, but I think pointing out both sides is important. There is validity for both. That being said, I have to disagree with the above quoted text. Are you saying that Martin Luther King Jr was insecure about his stated beliefs? How about Hitler? (Just to cover the fact that both good and bad can be very secure about their beliefs.) Each was passionate, outspoken, outraged and affronted. They spoke their minds with no apologies and with points of view that were both revered and loathed.

Perhaps if you were to learn more about Republicans by associating with them you might gain (and give for that matter) a better, healthier respect for those who have an opinion different than yours. The problem with this world is when people draw a line and then close their ears to anything but what they agree with. Both parties are guilty of this, hence my association with the Libertarians.

One quick question for you. I'll say up front that this is not written in any kind of a sarcastic or belittling tone. I'm genuinely interested. You speak of miraculous changes that are slowly sweeping our country. What are these changes? For some reason I'm just not seeing it. I'm missing out and I'd like to know what I'm missing out on.

One last note for all: Lets keep this conversation civil. Everyone has a different opinion, that is what makes the world interesting. There should be no room for mockery or belittlement, especially on this safe haven of a board. If you can't be respectful then it is probably a good idea to steer clear.

-Kevin

P.S. Since 1985 I've always built my own PCs from scratch until I bought my Mac last year.
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Here's a unsettling expose on the labor conditions at one assembly plant in China that produces keyboards for companies such as Microsoft, Dell and HP.
    http://www.nlcnet.org/article.php?id=613#intro
    One of hundreds of stories that go back decades. How sad. No one should have to work in those kind of conditions. I applaud companies who refuse to off shore when it means exploiting workers like this.

Although there is guilt on the companies side, I think that the real burden is on the shoulders of the countries who allow these kinds of work conditions to exist. From China to South Africa they should all clamp down on horrific work conditions and force them to improve conditions or shut the operations down.

-Kevin

Go Back to forum