• Register
  • Help

Topic: Troubles with Sonar 7 cc1

Share/Bookmark

Troubles with Sonar 7 cc1

Hi all,

If this is not the appropriate forum for this question, my apologies - I am using GPO with Sonar 7, so I hoped someone here might be able to help.

I upgraded from Sonar 6, where one held the left mouse button down while entering CC1 information and dragged it, creating a continuous event. I loved this, and foud it very useful.

I just tried to do this in Sonar 7, and it won't create a continuous event. At least it won't show it. When I click the left button, it creates a static event, and then if I pull it, nothing happens.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this is. I know there's a new PRV took configuration menu where you can assign buttons, and tried to fool with this, but still nothing.

My assumption is that there is either something I checked off somewhere by mistake or some other problem. Also, when you pull up the view menu on the side, you cannot check off "show continuous events" - for some reason it won't check off.

Any ideas? I am running a dual core Vista Machine with 2 gigs of ram, if that helps. It just doesn't seem possible they'd change this method between the two versions!

Thanks for any and all help!

Perplexed,

Denis Markell

Re: Troubles with Sonar 7 cc1

Do you have snap to grid enabled? If so, if you click and drag you'll only enter static cc commands on the subdivisions to which you're snapping, instead of the continuous command. Turn off snap-to-grid and try it again.
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Hi, Denis

YEah, I noticed the same thing in the newer Sonars.

Solution: Hold down "Ctrl" while sweeping with the mouse just as you did before.

And it's easier if you turn off "show handles" for the cc data.--BUT you need handles back on to see cc64 Off events - .

Randy B.

Hi Denis, Older versions included a tool called the draw line tool, which isn't in the toolbar on newer versions. But it's still available by activating the Draw tool, then holding down Ctrl+Shift and then click and hold your mouse at the controller value you want to begin with, then dragging your mouse and "painting" or "drawing" a smooth line of controller values. When you release the mouse button, there will be a line from the first point to the ending point.
    Then if you want to change it or fine tune part of it, you just repeat the process, and it will erase the original set of values and insert the new ones.
    I hope this will help you. John

"...holding down Ctrl+Shift and then click..."

-- Hey---didn't I just say that?

OH! I just noticed you're saying to hold Shift along with Ctrl - Actually, you only need to push Ctrl.

SOKay, John "Big Ears" - Denis should have no problem getting on with his cc drawing now.

Randy

Under the category of "Always Learning Something"--

---Your instructions to push Ctrl and Shift at the same time got me curious, John. INTeresting!--I'd never done that before--results:

--Push both keys, Ctrl and Shift, and you get straight line ramps which are easily dragged to the height and length you want.

I've never done that before!--Because:

--Push only Ctrl, and you get free-form drawing available, curves, intricate hills and valleys - that's the only way I've ever worked. This method certainly can emulate the movements of a wheel or slider, which is very helpful.

But ramps are sometimes useful - SO it's cool, both are available!

Thanks for the info, John.

Randy B.

Re: Troubles with Sonar 7 cc1 - solved!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Under the category of "Always Learning Something"--

---Your instructions to push Ctrl and Shift at the same time got me curious, John. INTeresting!--I'd never done that before--results:

--Push both keys, Ctrl and Shift, and you get straight line ramps which are easily dragged to the height and length you want.

I've never done that before!--Because:

--Push only Ctrl, and you get free-form drawing available, curves, intricate hills and valleys - that's the only way I've ever worked. This method certainly can emulate the movements of a wheel or slider, which is very helpful.

But ramps are sometimes useful - SO it's cool, both are available!

Randy B.
    Randy,

You guys are terrific! Problem gone! And where, pray tell, was I supposed to learn this if you good forum people weren't here? Was it under "New Things in Sonar 7"? I thought I read that pretty carefully, but then again...

It's been a blessing to find this place, and I've already learned a graduate student's amount of imformation from everything from Belkin's Orchrestration stuff, to helpful hints (by the wheelbarrowfull) from Jamie Kowalski and Cass Hansen.

Thanks for the info to John and Steve as well. I didn't know the trick about turning off snap to grid to get a really smooth gradient - that's terrific!

While working in 6, I'd just live with the gaps!

And maybe someday I'll be posting here with a link to something I've written...ya never know...

Denis

"...maybe someday I'll be posting here with a link to something I've written..."

Well, Yeah, Denis!--You better do that!--Over in The Listening Room, we want to hear what you're doing.

I discovered the need for "Ctrl" to draw in swooping data curves just be experimenting. It must be covered in the Help files somewhere, but I didn't notice it. Probably in with all the complicated sounding stuff about programming the tools in Piano Roll.

Turning off the grid is really key to good editing in all the different views. While of course you want the grid on if you're dragging a MIDI clip to a new position in the Track View, you want it off to do any edits which shouldn't be restricted to limited increments. Like in the Tempo View, the only way to do good smooth Tempo changes is with the grid off--you can swoop around in there too to get more natural results, otherwise you have a stair stepped Tempo map.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum