• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Binding a Score

Share/Bookmark

Binding a Score

Hi all, I've been lurking these forums for a long time. And now I've found the need to register to post, not because of technical issues, but because of publishing issues!

To the matter; I'm putting together my portfolio for submission to graduate school. I have an orchestration score that I want to have bound, but OfficeMax says they can not and Kinko's says they can by using two spiral bindings (unwanted). The paper size is Tabloid (11x17). Does anyone have any advice on how to get this bound with quality results?

And on a second related matter (but less urgent), where can I find the paper, or people who can print, music on (what I perceive as) standard sheet music size? Sibelius suggests that instrumental parts are around the 10x13 range, and officemax and kinkos doesn't carry anything like that. (likewise, sibelius suggests 'Concert" is 9x12, which I guess means Instrumental solo parts?) Any advice here?

Re: Binding a Score

Bunnykun:

If "page size" is NOT a requirement for your graduate school
    submission, print your score on 8 1/2 X 11." That is, if the
    score is not too large.

If this is acceptable you can plan TWO pages of this size on
    an 11 X 17" piece of paper. Just take some SMALL pieces of
    notepad paper (really small) and make a book out of them; then,
    number the pages including the cover and other beginning pages
    if you have any and then use this model to see where your music
    score pages will be positioned. Real easy and a time and money
    saver.

Yes, concert scores are mostly 9 X 12." I have had many
    bound by Kinkos with their spiral whatever and they did a
    great job. No problem with the fastener at all.

Hope some of these ideas piques your imagination so that
    you can get your submission package together.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Ive had concert scores in A3 size bound by Kinkos - but they were only able to bind at the top and not along the length at the side. Maybe give them a call to clarify, if thats an issue.

i work at a print place in ann arbor. let me know what you want and i know we can do it. any size paper, any type of bind - we do everything.

of course, the more exotic the bind the more money you're going to spend. just please please please don't go to kinko's.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    i work at a print place in ann arbor. let me know what you want and i know we can do it. any size paper, any type of bind - we do everything.

of course, the more exotic the bind the more money you're going to spend. just please please please don't go to kinko's.
    That's great to know, Keith.

Hey, seriously -- you ought to hang out a shingle around
    here somewhere. Getting scores properly printed and properly
    bound on the proper paper is a real problem for many of us!

I wonder if we could get PapaChalk to add a "SERVICES"
    section somewhere on the forum...?

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Yes Keith - very good to know. I will be contacting you in a couple of months to print my musical scores - yeah!

Charles
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

just let me know what paper size you're looking for, and what type. if the size you want is weird we will just cut it down with a precision cutter.

also let me know what bind you need. if you don't know the name that's fine, just describe it as best you can.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks for the input everyone! I do have one score where 8.5x11 is simply too small. It's comfortable on 11x17. I believe for the sake of preventing those pages from just dispersing in the wind I'll get them spiral bound on the 11 inch side. I'm also going back today so reprint my shorter pieces on the 18 x 24. with a half fold it'll be pages 9x12, and without a ridiculously superfluous spiral bound holding together 2 pages.

Keith, where is Ann Arbor and do you have a website?

update: turns out office max cannot print double sided on 19x24. Oh well.

Disappointingly enough, I have only Kinko's 4 blocks away. They usually do a reasonable work but sometimes mixed up with odd number page and even number page
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Go Back to forum