• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Crossover

Share/Bookmark

Crossover

I have never been into music that is strictly electronica. However the trend today seems to be to mix synths and samples together so I thought I would give it a try.

A friend actually welcomed me to the dark side with this piece, hence the name Crossover.

The piece uses Dim Pro, Z3ta+, Roland Groovesynth and Pentagon 1, which are the synths that came with Sonar. It also uses GPO (Flute, Oboe, Organ, Violin and Cello) and others.

I tried to make it loopable.

http://www.box.net/shared/3212gik0h9

This is my first ever electronica piece so feel free to tear it apart.

Ron

This piece might just become the theme of the Red Queen in my suite Thru the Looking Glass or maybe even the Queen of Hearts as it does sound in places as if someone might have had their head offed.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Crossover

Hey Ron,

Wow! That was different! Kind of chaotic at first then settling a bit; calming. The "electronica" aspects, to me, sound retro. Something from the 70's Doctor Who and a bit of 80's synth. A great atmospheric mixture! I believe this will do well for the Red Queen; - dark - mysterious.

Very Cool!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I love it!

Welcome to the Dark Side Ron.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Could have been a bit more quantized. But other than that I really enjoyed this. I like how it sounds like two fairly distinct moods - one somewhat threatening and the other more open and promising, and how the two groups of instruments at first have contrasting feelings associated with them but then start to cooperate more and more.

At least that's how I heard it.
    -Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Michael

I know how much you like Dr. Who, so I take that as a compliment.

I posted this in that other place and everyone (all of 2 people) cut down the synth sounds calling them lame and overdone. I like retro a lot better.

I think I used these sounds just because they are familiar to me. I also didn't feel like spending 10 hours tweaking knobs just to get a new sound. So I will embrace retro.

Hippie

I was hoping you would like this one. I almost added my guitar into this one. Maybe the next one.

Chris

There are a few drum beats that are off and it would take way too much work to redo this. I also have never quantized any of my works, so I am not even sure how to do it.

Your description of the piece solidifies my idea of using this for the Red Queen. That is the impression I have of her.

Thanks guys

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Ron:
    Not my cup of tea but I appreciate your skills in this. I never thought of electronic effects in Eb. Very interesting sounds and I can imagine many applications for this type of work.
    Be careful, being out there on that cutting edge may cause some bleeding.

It's nice to be back,

Steve

Ron,

This works pretty well - I've never been a fan of mixing the two sound sources (Yun's post a week ago, notwithstanding...). I guess the point is what does one sound - or the other - bring to the table. In this piece, there are some wonderful passages, but they struck me as just as effective without the electronica; in short, they were good musical passages. I actually liked this a lot, but think it would have been more effective as an all-electronic or all-acoustic ensemble, if that makes sense...

Some cool ideas!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I know how much you like Dr. Who, so I take that as a compliment.

I posted this in that other place and everyone (all of 2 people) cut down the synth sounds calling them lame and overdone. I like retro a lot better.

I think I used these sounds just because they are familiar to me. I also didn't feel like spending 10 hours tweaking knobs just to get a new sound. So I will embrace retro.
    Honest Ron, I really like that "type" of synth sound. I know sometimes it is hard to interpret internet type with out a face to discern expressions, but ........ its cool!
    LOL, I'll go take a peek at "that other place"! Haven't been there in a long time and I have a feeling nothing has changed.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi, Ron

Well this was a fun explosion of ideas, and a cool experiment for you. I had fun listening to it, though I've enjoyed your previous direction more thoroughly.

I have a bunch of thoughts on synth sounds - in no particular order they are:

--Electronic sounds have been used along with organic orchestral sounds for a long time actually. Keyboards have been used on Broadway for a long time to beef up the sound and give it punch. Usually with big bass rumblings, string patches, and "warm pad" kind of fills, nothing quite as overt as the blatantly synthetic sounds like you've used here.

--Synth sounds of any sort are always going to be thought of as "retro" to a lot of people since they were used so much more heavily in the '80's.

--Cakewalk has provided so many synths, Dimension being their flagship of course - who's using these a lot when the reaction is invariably that the sounds are "cheesy"--? Electronica composers who want that sound, but really not too many people composing in other styles.

--I was disappointed by some reactions to my "Dorian" score when the show was done here in Oregon last year. I'd spent massive amounts of time using GPO to give the tracks a more organic "virtual orchestra" sound than the score's first purely-synth driven version. But I sprinkled synth sounds throughout, sparingly, and what I thought was in good taste. But some people called the entire recording "Electronic," and often described it that way unflatteringly. I know that if I hadn't used any synth sounds in the soundtrack, those people would have been happier - as far as that goes.

--Synths are of course a staple of current TV composers. Where would the music from "C.S.I." be if there weren't readily available soft synths?

--In theory, I feel that it makes sense for us computer oriented composers to use every tool available, and not be concerned with what orchestras/bands can play with traditional instruments. But we risk negative feedback as per the above when we produce tracks that are heavily synthesized. It's dismaying when what is actually composed takes a back seat to people's reactions to how a recording turns out, "Your lead sound is sooo lame."

I ponder all of the above and don't draw too many conclusions.

Thanks for a post that got me to thinking.

Randy B.

Hi Ron, I think this is a great composition that would work well in your
    "Through the Looking Glass" suite however you end up voicing it.
    I've never even looked into the synths that came with Sonar, I will have to do some investigating. Thanks for another interesting piece, John

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast