• Register
  • Help

Topic: Menu missing in Aria when used as VST plugin

Share/Bookmark

Menu missing in Aria when used as VST plugin

Does anyone know how to access the menu functionality (File, Tools) in the Aria software that ships with the EWI USB when this is used as a VST plugin?

I have tried this in a couple of different host environments (Reaper and Cubase), and in both cases the menu is missing, thereby making the module next to useless as a plugin since I can't configure the preferences.

I've tried running Aria as a standalone and making default configurations, and then killing the stand-alone and starting it up as a VST plugin, but the previous settings saved as default under standalone do not picked up.

Re: Menu missing in Aria when used as VST plugin

I don't know if there is a way to do it in Cubase. I read a review of the EWI last month - I think in Sound on Sound, or Future Music - where they categorically stated that the EWI can't be configured from the VST plugin.

As a work around they suggested having the standalone ARIA open, as well as the plugin. I have to say I haven't managed that either though, since the EWI seems to be single-client. Whenever I have Cubase open, and try to open the standalone ARIA it says that the EWI is currently unavailable - doesn't seem to matter which order I open things in either.

It's starting to be quite frustrating. I'd like to be able to experiment with various bite settings, for plugins other than ARIA, but just to do something as simple as changing the bite gain a little bit I have to close Cubase, open ARIA, change the setting, close ARIA and reopen Cubase.
    David

Hi

The EWI settings are only available in the standalone for a technical reason, which is the requirement to have MIDI SYSEX ports opened bidirectionally between the application and the physical device, something that cant be done in the context of hosts in a clean way.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Hi

The EWI settings are only available in the standalone for a technical reason, which is the requirement to have MIDI SYSEX ports opened bidirectionally between the application and the physical device, something that cant be done in the context of hosts in a clean way.
    Would it still not be possible when 'allow SYSEX' is chosen as an option in the DAW?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Hi

I don't understand what this technical requirement has to do with configuration.

I require the EWI settings (Tools/Preferences) to e.g. check off the MIDI input device as EWI USB since this is a setting that is often lost between instantiations of Aria. What does this have to do with SYSEX? Can you not disable SYSEX related functionality if you have to, but allow basic configuration (like selecting the MIDI input and output) to take place?

I don't understand then how the Aria designers planned for any sort of configuration to take place in a hosted environment? Right now as far as I can tell, my EWI is unusable as a MIDI controller as a VST instrument, since it does not respond to input from the EWI (although the virtual keyboard in the Aria VST instrument produces sound, and playback from pre-existing MIDI works). I'm guessing it's because I can't select the MIDI input.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Would it still not be possible when 'allow SYSEX' is chosen as an option in the DAW?
    The host is responsible to "talk to external MIDI" and its illegal for a plugin to do so.
    yes some ODD VSTis does that, but its not something that my company want to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by rbhman View Post
    I don't understand then how the Aria designers planned for any sort of configuration to take place in a hosted environment? Right now as far as I can tell, my EWI is unusable as a MIDI controller as a VST instrument, since it does not respond to input from the EWI (although the virtual keyboard in the Aria VST instrument produces sound, and playback from pre-existing MIDI works). I'm guessing it's because I can't select the MIDI input.
    If the only thing you need is to receive MIDI from the EWI Hardware in your DAW, just follow your Host's instructions to do so. Its not ARIA's job to open MIDI ports in a plugin environment, again this is ALL according to the VST spec

Again ARIA is not required for the EWI USB Hardware device to work.
    however if you want to fine tune the device's configurations (eg, breath sensitivity), then you NEED to run the EWI USB (ARIA) Standalone, as this is where it was decided by AKAI to put this feature, because that requires BIDIRECTIONAL Sysex talks.

Go Back to forum